Question M.2 sata ssd vs Nvme ssd

oliveria

Prominent
Jun 9, 2022
Hallo good people , I bought a HP z book 17 g3 laptop that came with M2 sata ssd of 256gb, then I bought another samsung Nvme ssd of 512Gb to add as upgrade, theyre both in the laptop and I went ahead and installed windows on the new Nvme, so I have two OS in the two ssds, my question is, kindly help me decide which of the two ssd is faster so I can make it the default local c, then I will go ahead and format the other ssd, the m.2 sata ssd has two legs that fits into the motherboad an the Nvme ssd has one leg that gets into the motherboard, I cant see a way of how to attach photos of both the m.2 sata ssd and the nvme ssd, the nvme is a samsung PM 981 of 512Gb and the M.2 sata is an intel ssd, thanks in advance for your response

Hallo good people , I bought a HP z book 17 g3 laptop that came with M2 sata ssd of 256gb, then I bought another samsung Nvme ssd of 512Gb to add as upgrade, theyre both in the laptop and I went ahead and installed windows on the new Nvme, so I have two OS in the two ssds, my question is, kindly help me decide which of the two ssd is faster so I can make it the default local c, then I will go ahead and format the other ssd, the m.2 sata ssd has two legs that fits into the motherboad an the Nvme ssd has one leg that gets into the motherboard, I cant see a way of how to attach photos of both the m.2 sata ssd and the nvme ssd, the nvme is a samsung PM 981 of 512Gb and the M.2 sata is an intel ssd, thanks in advance for your response
Only you know what your storage reqs are.

Wag.....use the 256 for the OS and apps and the 512 for bulk storage.

oliveria

Prominent
Jun 9, 2022

oliveria

Prominent
Jun 9, 2022
As per my needs, I would love the 512gb nvme to be as local c since I want to believe it should be faster than the 256gb m.2 sata ssd, and the 512 GB nvme also cost me a lot of money, so if it all it could be faster, I would want to take advantage of that and make it local c, Im to install heavy architecture and engineering software like autocad, revit and infraworks , so I need a faster ssd to be as local c, is it true that the nvme should be faster than the m.2 sata, how can I attach the photos of their stickers here?

oliveria

Prominent
Jun 9, 2022
I would like to use the 256gb for normal storage of media like tutorials or other file storage and not for OS, in case the nvme is faster then I would like to use it for OS since the softwares I use are very heavy, also I do like to have a harddisk with atleast some 200gb free memory after installation of the softwares, which can only be supported by the 512 gb nvme, the nvme has one leg that enters motherboard while the m.2 sata has two legs, I want to believe that the one with one leg shows some advancement in technology over the one with two legs entering motherboard , Im looking for solutions to justify that truly, the nvme is faster than the m.2 data and hence I should use it for local c since I also used lot of money buying it, if I needed to use it for storage I would have bought a 2.5 inch normal harddisk

How sure are you that the laptop will boot properly if the 256 is formatted or even removed entirely?

Talk to us about these legs you are seeing.

What is the full name, brand, and model number of both of these drives?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
What do you use this laptop for?

You may not really notice any difference.

When you installed the OS on the new drive, was the old one still connected?
If so, you may need to redo that.

But see these videos:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YoRKQy-UO4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ9LyNXpsOo

USAFRet

Titan
These are the model no of the two ssds, so help me find out which one is faster

1. Intel ssdsckk256h6 - 256gb m.2 data
  2. MZ-VLB5120 Samsung Pm981 512GB Nvme
The Intel is a SATA drive.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...00-series-256gb-2-5in-sata-6gbs-16nm-mlc.html

The Samsung is an NVMe

In raw benchmarks, the Samsung is faster.
Will you actually notice? Maybe not, depending on what you use this system for.

If it has relevant ports to hold both of these at the same time, I would leave the OS on the original 256GB SATA III drive, and use the other one (Samsung NVMe) for other things.

oliveria

Prominent
Jun 9, 2022
Upon checking the model numbers on the internet, the M.2 sata ssd 256 GB is listed as having a drive interface type : sata 6.0 GBps, and the read/write speed of the Nvme 512Gb is said to be 3000MBps, does this info show that the m.2 sata is having twice the speed of the Nvme, or what does this 6.0Gbps mean here, I also cant understand why it could be that the sata could be faster than the nvme in question here, help me understand please

USAFRet

Titan
Upon checking the model numbers on the internet, the M.2 sata ssd 256 GB is listed as having a drive interface type : sata 6.0 GBps, and the read/write speed of the Nvme 512Gb is said to be 3000MBps, does this info show that the m.2 sata is having twice the speed of the Nvme, or what does this 6.0Gbps mean here, I also cant understand why it could be that the sata could be faster than the nvme in question here, help me understand please
You're reading it wrong.

The SATA III drive will do, in perfect conditions, around 550MB/s
From Intel:
" Sequential Bandwidth - 100% Read (up to) 540 MB/s"

The Samsung NVMe:
"3,500 MB/s of sequential read "
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-pm981-980-nvme-ssd,5323.html

oliveria

Prominent
Jun 9, 2022
Whats the meaning of this 6.0Gbps here for this ssd model number of 256gb, also the intel link you posted here is only talking about a 2.5 inch ssd , which is not the one I'm talking about, 2.5 inch ssd is not same as the m.2 sata intel ssd I'm referring to, but whats the meaning of this 6.0Gbps for the 256 ssd m.2, it refers to which speed

USAFRet

Titan
Whats the meaning of this 6.0Gbps here for this ssd model number of 256gb, also the intel link you posted here is only talking about a 2.5 inch ssd , which is not the one I'm talking about, 2.5 inch ssd is not same as the m.2 sata intel ssd I'm referring to, but whats the meaning of this 6.0Gbps for the 256 ssd m.2, it refers to which speed
SATA is SATA
2.5" vs M.2 is only the format and packaging.
Otherwise, it is the same drive and performance.

Where are you reading that "6.0Gbps"? Link please.

Also, don't confuse MB and Mb.
MegaBytes vs Megabits. 8:1 ratio.

USAFRet

Titan
The internet and users make a hash out of the B+b stuff.
B=bytes......b=bits.
That sata 6.0GBps should show sata 6.0 Gbps which equals 600MBps.

oliveria

Prominent
Jun 9, 2022
I now understand you , thanks a lot for the clarification, maybe one more thing, from what youve just written, how is 600Mbps equal to 6 Gbps, does it make sense, then what about the 3500Mbps for Nvme, it will be equal to how many Gbps upon comversion, thanks

USAFRet

Titan
I now understand you , thanks a lot for the clarification, maybe one more thing, from what youve just written, how is 600Mbps equal to 6 Gbps, does it make sense, then what about the 3500Mbps for Nvme, it will be equal to how many Gbps upon comversion, thanks
Megabits -> gigabits.
M * 1000 = G
600megabits = 6 gigabits

NVMe = 3,500 megabytes or 3.5gigabytes.
Many times "faster" than the SATA drive.

And again, "M.2" is only the form factor.
You can have a SATA drive OR NVme drive in the M.2 format.

Reactions: oliveria

oliveria

Prominent
Jun 9, 2022
Great, I really appreciate the relies, you solved my problem, I'll now go ahead and make the Nvme my default local c since I will be using it for architecture and engineering softwares, including renderings, thanks again