[SOLVED] M.2 SDD not showing up in BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToSeekHelp

Prominent
Aug 20, 2020
Hi, ok so I need to explain little in details what my issue is so its important to read it all to understand.

I decided I wanna fresh install a new windows into my PC, so I used windows install media creation tool on my usb, and before I restart my PC, i ran the usb and windows 10 installation and there was like option to prepare my computer and I choose my m.2 SDD (one with the current windows installed in it now) after the preparation ended, it asked me to restart the PC to start installation, BUT I decided later I dont wanna do fresh install anymore (I have yet to restart my pc so far, took out the usb). Few days later I restart my pc and now the issue began.

My pc wont boot to windows, it keeps saying no bootable windows drive or something like that, anyway when I go to BIOS it doesnt show my C drive which is my m.2 sdd with the windows on it, I changed settings in BIOS but nothing help UNTIL I decided to try to clear CMOS then when I turned it on, it actually WORKED and it went to windows, few days later I shutdown my pc and when I turned it on, its the same issue again and m.2 ssd not showing in BIOS, so I clear the CMOS again and it WORKS. I need help fixing that.

For some reason i think my windows drive (m.2) was set as fresh install (when i ran the installation usb when I first created it before restarting) so it wont show up in BIOS at all after restarting, and it wont boot to windows at all until I clear CMOS, and will happen every time I restart. Can someone explain why and what is the issue caused here? and how to fix it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i ran the usb and windows 10 installation and there was like option to prepare my computer and I choose my m.2 SDD (one with the current windows installed in it now) after the preparation ended, it asked me to restart the PC to start installation, BUT I decided later I dont wanna do fresh install anymore (I have yet to restart my pc so far, took out the usb). Few days later I restart my pc and now the issue began.
windows is only half installed. Its copied all the files onto the m.2 but its not finished the install process so there isn't a boot partition and windows isn't in a state to run off the Drive yet. That is why its not showing in the BIOS.

Fact it sort of works sometimes is strange but to fix problem, you need to start again. Did you clean install or just remove the partition windows was on?

What motherboard do you have?
This is a clean install: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

if you clean install again, make sure m.2 is only drive in PC when you run installer as it stops windows putting parts of itself on other drives.

Last edited:

ToSeekHelp

Prominent
Aug 20, 2020
windows is only half installed. Its copied all the files onto the m.2 but its not finished the install process so there isn't a boot partition and windows isn't in a state to run off the Drive yet. That is why its not showing in the BIOS.

Fact it sort of works sometimes is strange but to fix problem, you need to start again. Did you clean install or just remove the partition windows was on?

What motherboard do you have?
This is a clean install: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

if you clean install again, make sure m.2 is only drive in PC when you run installer as it stops windows putting parts of itself on other drives.

Hey first my motherbord is MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS .

Well I didnt make a clean install or remove any partition, after the tool created the bootable windows, I run the exe from the usb folder, wanting to know what it looks like, then while im still in windows it did the prepration then asked for a restart. BUT I never did and I never booted the usb because I changed my mind.

Is it possible to undo what I did, and make the Drive a boot partition so I can cintone using what I using now? I cant clear CMOS everytime I restart lol, and I like prefer keeping what I have.

Colif

Win 11 Master
trying to work out what it did.

while I do that,
right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

ToSeekHelp

Prominent
Aug 20, 2020
trying to work out what it did.

while I do that,
right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

it says there is a system repair pending and I need to restart first before scanning, lol. I was trying to avoid too many restart

did it look anything like section 2 part 6 or later here? https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366/

there aren't many choices available to you if you run setup in file explorer. I am having fun finding what it does offer.
Nah nothing like that, I didnt get to installations at all

ToSeekHelp

Prominent
Aug 20, 2020
I FIXED IT

I ran the the setup.exe on my windows usb and ran through the preparation again, then this time I clicked on install and let it finish, and I choose to keep files, so i guess it installed over it or something i dont know.

so if it showed right away after you run it, you can delete 2 files to remove the record - See solution 1 - https://appuals.com/fix-there-is-a-system-repair-pending-which-requires-reboot-to-complete/
That page looks like some scammer PC-repair page.
Some of instructions there are clearly harmful.

Changing ownership of windows system files/folders breaks windows.
Changing SATA controller mode in BIOS will cause BSOD.
The page offers to download some magic repair software.

I'd stay away from that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS