M.2 securing mount riser threads broke off, can’t secure drive. Hoping I can reattach via solder. Need advice/thoughts please

alexjbriggs

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
https://imgur.com/gallery/pxNBJ

4 pictures there with descriptions to explain what happened and what I’m trying to do.

I’m hoping that I can lay the piece down where it’s supposed to be on the motherboard, and once positioned, I can solder 3 or 4 small beads of solder around the perimeter, and the solder would adhere the piece directly to the motherboard. Once attached, then I’m hoping I can secure the m.2 down with the screw being screwed into the reattached riser as it’s intended to be.

Is this safe to do? Is it likely to work? If not, any other suggestions?! I do have some soldering experience, but not a pro.

Thank you so much for your time.

Solution
I would use a 2 part epoxy, and let it cure for however long the package recommends before installing the M2 drive. Solder may or not adhere to the metal, and as mentioned above, I would be concerned about the heat required.
It's good that m.2 drives are small and in general light. solder should be string enough to keep drive secure inside, but I would recommend to move to another m.2 slot if possible.
Have you tried Glue ? Its just to secure the drive, maybe simple glue would be enough for this spacer/nut or how you want to call it.

alexjbriggs

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Unfortunately my motherboard only has a single m.2 slot.

I tried flying using a uv light glue but beings I’m attempting to glue metal to metal, it’s not adhering strong enough despite glue being fully dried, and it just breaks off soon as I attempt to place the screw in to secure the drive down.

Would superglue be safe to use as far as heat goes, and also is it safe to use as far as if some over drip got on the surrounding pcb areas?

alexjbriggs

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Hey everyone quick update! Thank you all for your feedback and responses and suggestions! I ended using JB KwikWeld and it worked like a flippin charm! What an amazing product! Highly recommend it. It set in about 5 minutes, and although it takes about 3 hours to fully cure, I decided to go ahead and screw the m.2 in only 30 minutes after applying the epoxy and it was more than solid enough. Couldn’t be happier.

A couple pictures of the final result:
https://imgur.com/gallery/7xKIv