Question M.2 shows up on bios but not on cmd diskpart or drivers where your supposed to install windows

Jul 21, 2022
M.2: adata sx6000pnp

Motherboard: Aorus B450 Elite.

My pc was working before however when i turned off my pc and turned it back on, my pc showed the screen 'reboot and select proper boot device.'

I went onto bios and:

Made my m.2 first boot priority

Switched it to Ahcl mode

Disabled secure boot

Enabled CSM support

Because it still wasnt booting to windows, i tried to reinstall windows again via usb. Everything was going smoothly up until when my m.2 wasnt showing in my driver where I am supposed to select the driver where i want to install windows 10. I go into repair pc and cmd to try and format my m.2 however it wasn't showing up. Any help??

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 21, 2022
I tend to see a lot of adata drives fail. You might be better off with another brand like Samsung or WD, I don't see those have problems as often.

Oh, I assumed warranty was 5 years. I hadn't looked.
Any good m.2 that are 1tb and moderately cheap compared to others?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am not sure of all the brands.
I would stick to brands I knew like Seagate, Western Digital, or Samsung.
They might cost a little more but they tend to last longer too. It depends how much you value your data.

I have lost all my data before, it sort of makes you reluctant to do it again. Its easier now I can copy files onto a cloud server, I don't live in fear of my music drive dying and having to spend weeks ripping it all again.

Jul 21, 2022
I tend to see a lot of adata drives fail. You might be better off with another brand like Samsung or WD, I don't see those have problems as often.

Oh, I assumed warranty was 5 years. I hadn't looked.
Also forgot to say thaf the m.2 is in the second slot because my gpu was too big to put the m.2 in the first slot

Colif

Win 11 Master
hmm, i was expecting the m.2 slots to be above the gpu, not below it. strange placement... or normal.. My 1st m.2 slot above the GPU and 2nd is actually under it now.. so I use top slot.

does nvme have a heatsink on it?

I don't think that should matter to the installer. It should still see it.
Are any other drives attached when you install? helps to only have one. I thought maybe a sata drive was using channel but it seems that if you use the nvme channels, it turns off the sata channels so shouldn't be that.
chart shows that info on page 17 = https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...101_v1.pdf?v=c929cd26479904dd13427b268b6f94c6

Jul 21, 2022
hmm, i was expecting the m.2 slots to be above the gpu, not below it. strange placement... or normal.. My 1st m.2 slot above the GPU and 2nd is actually under it now.. so I use top slot.

does nvme have a heatsink on it?

I don't think that should matter to the installer. It should still see it.
Are any other drives attached when you install? helps to only have one. I thought maybe a sata drive was using channel but it seems that if you use the nvme channels, it turns off the sata channels so shouldn't be that.
chart shows that info on page 17 = https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...101_v1.pdf?v=c929cd26479904dd13427b268b6f94c6
Is there a driver that i am supposed to install before hand so that the m.2 is recognized as a driver in the windows installation page?

Colif

Win 11 Master
is m.2 only drive in PC when you install?

Is there a driver that i am supposed to install before hand so that the m.2 is recognized as a driver in the windows installation page?

Might want to check if RAID is on in bios as that could be one reason it can't see drive as it would need drivers then... but no, don't normally need to use drivers to get installer to see an m.2

looking at your manual, you can't raid PCIe drives so that shouldn't be the reason.
page 39 - https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...101_v1.pdf?v=c929cd26479904dd13427b268b6f94c6

How old is the installer? if its not new, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Jul 21, 2022
is m.2 only drive in PC when you install?

Might want to check if RAID is on in bios as that could be one reason it can't see drive as it would need drivers then... but no, don't normally need to use drivers to get installer to see an m.2

looking at your manual, you can't raid PCIe drives so that shouldn't be the reason.
page 39 - https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...101_v1.pdf?v=c929cd26479904dd13427b268b6f94c6

How old is the installer? if its not new, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
Thank you i will do that
Also i was on the page where you check the drivers where you want to download windows 10 and i browsed for folders. I saw my usb folder and i also saw a x:boot folder. I clicked inside and saw program files, program files(86x) etc. Im guessing that that is my m.2 ssd.
Im at a point where i dont care about erasing all my folders and i just want my m.2 to work