[SOLVED] M.2 Slot Broken? - Dell Inspiron 15 5570

JaredFrost95

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
I bought a refurbed Dell Inspiron 15 in beautiful condition but the 1tb HDD it came with is impossibly slow. I put in an Intel SATA M.2 240gb drive in the available slot but it is not recognized anywhere. Not in the boot menu, bios, windows disk management or list disk. If I plug it in via a usb adapter then it is recognized just fine. The drive seems to follow the support requirements. I've tried disabling secure boot but it just says "checking media" and can't find anything if the HDD is not installed. I also disconnected the battery for quite some time to clear cmos. Any advice on diagnosing this would be great.

Solution
You have to configure BIOS appropriately.
M.2 slot may be preconfigured for use with NVME drive or optane module.

Can you provide link to your Intel M.2 SATA drive product page? May be it's not M.2 but msata instead.
I bought a refurbed Dell Inspiron 15 in beautiful condition but the 1tb HDD it came with is impossibly slow. I put in an Intel SATA M.2 240gb drive in the available slot but it is not recognized anywhere. Not in the boot menu, bios, windows disk management or list disk. If I plug it in via a usb adapter then it is recognized just fine. The drive seems to follow the support requirements. I've tried disabling secure boot but it just says "checking media" and can't find anything if the HDD is not installed. I also disconnected the battery for quite some time to clear cmos. Any advice on diagnosing this would be great.
Have you check the BIOS in case the SATA port is disabled.
Go to the BIOS (F2) and under Drives on System Configuration check if the SATA port is enabled.

JaredFrost95

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Have you check the BIOS in case the SATA port is disabled.
Go to the BIOS (F2) and under Drives on System Configuration check if the SATA port is enabled.

There does not appear to be a way of enabling or disabling certain ports in this bios, as it is very bare bones. It says right on the main page of the bios, M.2 PCIe SSD = Not Detected. There is no listing for SATA M.2, just SATA ODD and HDD... So maybe this bios does not support SATA M.2??? But it says it does online... I'll have to confirm this before buying an NVME drive. Also, AHCI is the only option.

Here is my SSD: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...eries-240gb-m-2-80mm-sata-6gb-s-20nm-mlc.html

In BIOS under System Configuration/Drives:
M.2 SSD must be enabled

maxresdefault.jpg

There does not appear to be a way of enabling or disabling certain ports in this bios, as it is very bare bones. It says right on the main page of the bios, M.2 PCIe SSD = Not Detected. There is no listing for SATA M.2, just SATA ODD and HDD... So maybe this bios does not support SATA M.2??? But it says it does online... I'll have to confirm this before buying an NVME drive. Also, AHCI is the only option.

Here is my SSD: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...eries-240gb-m-2-80mm-sata-6gb-s-20nm-mlc.html
Which BIOS version do you have?
Your BIOS should be on UEFI mode.

TRENDING THREADS