[SOLVED] M.2 speed

Mar 9, 2021
Hi,

Is installing nvme ssd into pcie1x using an adapter(like this) will cause for losing write/read data speed? Is changing the motherboard a better solution?

Solution
Yes sure,

Motherboard: Gigabyte ga-b75m-d3v
BIOS version: F6
CPU: intel i5-3470

RAM: 8GB
An NVMe drive such as a 970 EVO is totally wasted on that system.

Your motherboard:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B75M-D3V-rev-10/sp#sp
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCI Express 3.0 )
Presumably you have a GPU in that slot?

2 x PCI Express x1 slots (PCI Express 2.0 standard )

A current NVMe drive in the PCIe 2.0 x1 slot will be much much slower than what they can do. Possibly slower than a standard SATA III SSD.
Waste of time and money.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes sure,

Your motherboard:

A current NVMe drive in the PCIe 2.0 x1 slot will be much much slower than what they can do. Possibly slower than a standard SATA III SSD.
Waste of time and money.

Reactions: ragnarok0274
Solution
Mar 9, 2021
FYI you won’t be able to boot from a drive using g that adapter but you can use it for storage.
Oh, The main purpose was to boot from that ssd. Thank you for the information

Your motherboard:

Waste of time and money.

Yes I do have GPU in the x16.
So do you suggest for going to higher motherboard? If yes, Any suggestion for which one?

Mar 9, 2021
Yes, What you said was one way to do so but my computer has became old. Changing to another motherboard can really help me for further upgradation in the future.
I will stay on the same CPU, RAM, GPU.

I'am currently looking for motherboard Asus Prime B460M-A mATX. What do toy say about it?

Or even Gigabyte B460M Gaming HD.

Last edited:
Oh, The main purpose was to boot from that ssd. Thank you for the information

Do not waste money on NVMe drive in this motherboard. Any SATA-3 SSD vill do the job better and faster.

If you want to upgrade to decent hardware, be ready to purchase both motherboard, CPU with CPU cooler and RAM at once. And check if your existing case and PSU match with desired configuration.

Yes sure,

As suggested, I would upgrade to a SATA SSD, which will improve the performance of your system.
Even if you decide to upgrade, you could still use the SSD on your new system.

If you upgrade to a new motherboard, then you need a CPU and RAM and probably a new PSU.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021
First, I am extremely thankful for your valuable information, It seems i need to be sure before buying any new hardware. So this will bring another question.
What is the best way to check hardware compatibility? I

on that link, I can see the motherboard does support i5 processors and DDR4 memory. So if I choose this mb I only need to change the ram. Am I right?

No. Gigabyte B460M Gaming HD motherboard support 10th generation Intel CPUs. i5-10540 and similar.

Your mandatory part list may look like this

Gigabyte B460M GAMING HD
----------------------------------------------------------
Intel Core i5-10400F
16 GB DDR4 RAM - 16 GB, 2666 MHz
or
Intel Core i5-10600K
16 GB DDR4 RAM - 16 GB, 3000-3200 MHz in XMP mode

Plus cooler compatible with LGA1200 socket CPU.

Obviously you can pick up beefier CPUs from i7-i9 range, but I have a feeling that you will not want that.

Check if your existing PSU will support your hardware. At least 500W not group regulated PSU is necessary. Check are your PSU have all required cables and connectors. Mentioned motherboard have 8-pin CPU power connector (4+4 will fit).

And check if desired motherboard with cooler will fit into your PC case.

on that link, I can see the motherboard does support i5 processors and DDR4 memory. So if I choose this mb I only need to change the ram. Am I right?

Why are you looking to spend $300 on upgrading a system to get a faster drive when you can just buy an SSD that works with your computer for 1/5th of that or less? Your 3rd gen i5, 8 GB of RAM and the new SSD is just fine for "home use".

Mar 9, 2021
Why are you looking to spend $300 on upgrading a system to get a faster drive when you can just buy an SSD that works with your computer for 1/5th of that or less? Your 3rd gen i5, 8 GB of RAM and the new SSD is just fine for "home use".
Because my computer has become very old. If i did not do it now it seems that i will be doing in the next years... moreover i am facing trouble problems when using multiple screens on that set.

besides. I did not meant by "home use" just watching Netflix or browsing into Facebook. No. I am a programmer and i do use eclipse, visual studio and more stuff related for coding.

it seems that i must allocate an extended budget on fully decent hardware system.

USAFRet

Titan
"Home use" is quite broad meaning. For one it is web browsing and occasional typing in word processor. For someone else - hardcore gaming, video encoding or other similar stuff capable to use CPU as local coffee cup heater too.
And still, the difference between SATA III SSD and NVMe is not nearly as large as the sequential benchmark implies.

Bottom line - Moving from the current 3rd Gen Intel to something new that can utilize an NVMe drive is a whole new system.
Not bits and pieces.

There will be FAR more difference in performance from the newer CPU and RAM vs SATA III and NVMe.