[SOLVED] M.2 SSD and AsRock B450M Gaming

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Good day all,

So, I bought my stepson a Team Group SATAIII M.2 SSD to add to his system since he's running out of room for games on his current drives. This thing is a prebuilt (CyberPower GMA3600BST, Ryzen 5 2600 at its core) that he bought roughly 15 months ago. The board itself has four SATA ports and 1 available M.2 slot, with two of those SATA plugs occupied with the drives that came with it.

After installing the M.2, there is no mention of it in BIOS, so obviously it is not detected/recognized. There is no user's manual that I can find that covers this board (AsRock B450M Gaming is all that it says on the board itself/reported on CPU-Z), and it seems that the B450M/ac is the closest thing to it. I tried moving the SATA cables from SATAs 3 and 4 to 1 and 2 in hopes of clearing a potential slot conflict with no success. On the drive, there are two solid lights, one blue at the interface end, and one red at the screw end. I can find no listing of that drive as to what those lights mean, and the packaging was as basic as they come...no clues given on what those status lights mean. They stay solid with no changes. (https://www.newegg.com/team-group-ms30-512gb/p/N82E16820331232?Item=N82E16820331232)

The only other thing I can see, crazy as it is, is a very small compatibility list on Page 36, here: https://download.asrock.com/Manual/B450Mac.pdf

Considering information is sketchy to nonexistent I thought I'd reach out here. On any kind of a general basis, would the drive be DOA, would the BIOS need to be updated for some silly reason, would that board potentially be good for only one cabled SATAIII drive, or some other remedy perhaps? Or is this list REALLY that short with no similar drives allowed (i.e., this is truly the only six drives it would support...? I bought the drive before I went to finding this information, believing this type of interface would be more universal than what the board lists...my mistake, perhaps?)

Any input is much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
Good day all,

So, I bought my stepson a Team Group SATAIII M.2 SSD to add to his system since he's running out of room for games on his current drives. This thing is a prebuilt (CyberPower GMA3600BST, Ryzen 5 2600 at its core) that he bought roughly 15 months ago. The board itself has four SATA ports and 1 available M.2 slot, with two of those SATA plugs occupied with the drives that came with it.

After installing the M.2, there is no mention of it in BIOS, so obviously it is not detected/recognized. There is no user's manual that I can find that covers this board (AsRock B450M Gaming is all that it says on the board itself/reported on CPU-Z), and it seems that the B450M/ac is the closest thing to it. I tried moving the SATA...
Good day all,

After installing the M.2, there is no mention of it in BIOS, so obviously it is not detected/recognized. There is no user's manual that I can find that covers this board (AsRock B450M Gaming is all that it says on the board itself/reported on CPU-Z), and it seems that the B450M/ac is the closest thing to it. I tried moving the SATA cables from SATAs 3 and 4 to 1 and 2 in hopes of clearing a potential slot conflict with no success. On the drive, there are two solid lights, one blue at the interface end, and one red at the screw end. I can find no listing of that drive as to what those lights mean, and the packaging was as basic as they come...no clues given on what those status lights mean. They stay solid with no changes. (https://www.newegg.com/team-group-ms30-512gb/p/N82E16820331232?Item=N82E16820331232)

The only other thing I can see, crazy as it is, is a very small compatibility list on Page 36, here: https://download.asrock.com/Manual/B450Mac.pdf

Considering information is sketchy to nonexistent I thought I'd reach out here. On any kind of a general basis, would the drive be DOA, would the BIOS need to be updated for some silly reason, would that board potentially be good for only one cabled SATAIII drive, or some other remedy perhaps? Or is this list REALLY that short with no similar drives allowed (i.e., this is truly the only six drives it would support...? I bought the drive before I went to finding this information, believing this type of interface would be more universal than what the board lists...my mistake, perhaps?)

Any input is much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
What I read was that the board supports PCIe NVME m.2 drives. Says nothing about SATA support for the m.2 slot. If it supports both it will list both as supported. I referenced the B450M-AC for this info.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS