[SOLVED] M.2 SSD capped at 800 mbps on file transfer

Static_CrushR

Reputable
Aug 13, 2016
Hello I recently purchased a sn750 500gb for my Asus b350 prime plus motherboard. I am seeing the speeds on diskmark and as-ssd but file transfers between files on the system (where i simply copy and paste on desktop) are capping at 800 Mbps and I have no idea why.

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
I have put a file on the desktop of 60GB. Copied it and pasted it into the same desktop as a different name. On the SSD. And the speed reaches 1GB then drops to 800 mb/s and just keeps chugging till the end. Is that normal?
Copying to and from 2 locations on the same drive WILL be much slower than between two similar physical drives.

And it starts out fast then goes slow, because the cache fills up.

What you see is absolutely normal.
There is nothing wrong, there is nothing to fix.

Lutfij

Titan
Out of curiosity, what processor are you working with on that motherboard? You might want to see what BIOS version your currently on for the motherboard and cross reference Asus's support site to see if you have BIOS updates pending. Then is the matter about the heat off of that SSD, might want to see what touching the SSD's surface feels like when you get the capped transfer speeds. I suspect thermal throttling if your processor and BIOS are not impeding you.

Does the SSD have more than one partition on it(apart from the usual C drive)?

USAFRet

Titan
Hello I recently purchased a sn750 500gb for my Asus b350 prime plus motherboard. I am seeing the speeds on diskmark and as-ssd but file transfers between files on the system (where i simply copy and paste on desktop) are capping at 800 Mbps and I have no idea why.

Any help would be appreciated.
Copying to and from what?

Different drives?
Locations on the same drive?

Static_CrushR

Reputable
Aug 13, 2016
Out of curiosity, what processor are you working with on that motherboard? You might want to see what BIOS version your currently on for the motherboard and cross reference Asus's support site to see if you have BIOS updates pending. Then is the matter about the heat off of that SSD, might want to see what touching the SSD's surface feels like when you get the capped transfer speeds. I suspect thermal throttling if your processor and BIOS are not impeding you.

Does the SSD have more than one partition on it(apart from the usual C drive)?

Cpu is ryzen 5 1600 @ stock. The BIOS version is the latest on the website that I have installed. 5602 I believe but the latest one I am sure. The looks to be good. The WD dashboard showing a max of 58c on load with diskmark and 47c as minimum. It has created 3 small partitions apart from the main C drive. 1 says "basic data partition" 2nd says "EFI system partition" and the third one says "recovery partition". Can I delete any of them? Do they impact performance?

USAFRet

Titan
Cpu is ryzen 5 1600 @ stock. The BIOS version is the latest on the website that I have installed. 5602 I believe but the latest one I am sure. The looks to be good. The WD dashboard showing a max of 58c on load with diskmark and 47c as minimum. It has created 3 small partitions apart from the main C drive. 1 says "basic data partition" 2nd says "EFI system partition" and the third one says "recovery partition". Can I delete any of them? Do they impact performance?
Do NOT, under any circumstances, delete any of those.
That is normal and expected.

Again...copying to and from what?

Static_CrushR

Reputable
Aug 13, 2016
Copying to and from what?

Different drives?
Locations on the same drive?

I have put a file on the desktop of 60GB. Copied it and pasted it into the same desktop as a different name. On the SSD. And the speed reaches 1GB then drops to 800 mb/s and just keeps chugging till the end. Is that normal?

USAFRet

Titan
Copying to and from 2 locations on the same drive WILL be much slower than between two similar physical drives.

And it starts out fast then goes slow, because the cache fills up.

What you see is absolutely normal.
There is nothing wrong, there is nothing to fix.

Solution

Static_CrushR

Reputable
Aug 13, 2016
Interesting well I have another SSD which is SATA and when I move a file that is big to and from it to the M.2 the speeds are capped at the speeds of the SATA drives. Which makes sense. So if I would want to see the speeds that are advertised I would have to have another M.2 SSD and move files between them is that correct?

USAFRet

Titan
Interesting well I have another SSD which is SATA and when I move a file that is big to and from it to the M.2 the speeds are capped at the speeds of the SATA drives. Which makes sense. So if I would want to see the speeds that are advertised I would have to have another M.2 SSD and move files between them is that correct?
Correct.
Speed is dictated by the slowest device in the chain.
That might be an HDD, or it might be a USB 2.0 between 2 blindingly fast external SSD, or any other combination.

The advertised speed you see are the theoretical max, in perfect lab conditions and data structure.
Real world performance will be less.

TRENDING THREADS