[SOLVED] M.2 SSD compatibility

Myronazz

Reputable
Sep 5, 2016
Hello...

So my SSD is on it's last legs, and since my motherboard supports M.2 SSDs, I will get one of those since they are so much better from what I've heard. I've never gotten (or installed) one so to make sure I don't buy an incompatible one, I'd need someone to check and make sure.

I went to eBay and found that the Crucial P1 here is a good deal, but if anyone has something better i'll be happy to consider it. My motherboard is a Prime B350-Plus from ASUS.

I checked specs on the Crucial drive from here and from what I can tell, it's a type 2280. My motherboard, according to the spec supports type 2280 drives on PCie 3.0 mode if running on a Ryzen, which I do. It seems to me that it's all perfectly fine, but is it? I've seen that M.2 drives come in different sizes in terms width, would I still be alright? Is there something I'm missing is what I am basically asking.

Thank you!

Myronazz

Reputable
Sep 5, 2016
Unless the Intel one is better, then their value where I am from is the exact same as the crucial drive.

I did more research on these types of SSDs and from what I understood, QLC technology is a bit problematic when it comes to long-term life (and performance) so to be honest, i'd take a TLC drive even if it means paying a little more and less capacity. So I was looking at this one.

Unless the Intel one is better, then their value where I am from is the exact same as the crucial drive.

I did more research on these types of SSDs and from what I understood, QLC technology is a bit problematic when it comes to long-term life (and performance) so to be honest, i'd take a TLC drive even if it means paying a little more and less capacity. So I was looking at this one.
If the Corsair MP510 costs less than the Crucial P1, then yes it is a better value.

Myronazz

Reputable
Sep 5, 2016
Yup. Found it at a discount, probably because of Cyber Monday or whatever, I just bought it along with some other things to revive my dead computer.

Here is another problem - I came across a guy that mentioned something about not having a screw on your M.2 slot being bad. I looked at my motherboard and big surprise (not), I do not have a screw -_- I got the motherboard used a while back and the previous owner probably forgot to include it along with the I/O shield.

I have a bag full of screws that I tried on, and this one fit:

I do recognise it, probably from some laptop I took apart. Am I okay to use it? It does seem to screw in without too much force, and it has nice top base with a rather long diameter... which should be enough to hold the drive down, I hope.

Thank you for your consistent replies, I appreciate it, without it I would be all over manuals and posts to figure things out.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS