[SOLVED] M.2 SSD compatibility

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Hello...

So my SSD is on it's last legs, and since my motherboard supports M.2 SSDs, I will get one of those since they are so much better from what I've heard. I've never gotten (or installed) one so to make sure I don't buy an incompatible one, I'd need someone to check and make sure.

I went to eBay and found that the Crucial P1 here is a good deal, but if anyone has something better i'll be happy to consider it. My motherboard is a Prime B350-Plus from ASUS.

I checked specs on the Crucial drive from here and from what I can tell, it's a type 2280. My motherboard, according to the spec supports type 2280 drives on PCie 3.0 mode if running on a Ryzen, which I do. It seems to me that it's all perfectly fine, but is it? I've seen that M.2 drives come in different sizes in terms width, would I still be alright? Is there something I'm missing is what I am basically asking.

Thank you!

Solution
That drive will work in your motherboard. You could also look at an Intel 660p SSD. It uses the same QLC NAND and Silicon Motion SM2263 controller as the Crucial P1, and is likely cheaper at the moment.

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Unless the Intel one is better, then their value where I am from is the exact same as the crucial drive.

I did more research on these types of SSDs and from what I understood, QLC technology is a bit problematic when it comes to long-term life (and performance) so to be honest, i'd take a TLC drive even if it means paying a little more and less capacity. So I was looking at this one.

Unless the Intel one is better, then their value where I am from is the exact same as the crucial drive.

I did more research on these types of SSDs and from what I understood, QLC technology is a bit problematic when it comes to long-term life (and performance) so to be honest, i'd take a TLC drive even if it means paying a little more and less capacity. So I was looking at this one.
If the Corsair MP510 costs less than the Crucial P1, then yes it is a better value.

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Yup. Found it at a discount, probably because of Cyber Monday or whatever, I just bought it along with some other things to revive my dead computer.

Here is another problem - I came across a guy that mentioned something about not having a screw on your M.2 slot being bad. I looked at my motherboard and big surprise (not), I do not have a screw -_- I got the motherboard used a while back and the previous owner probably forgot to include it along with the I/O shield.

I have a bag full of screws that I tried on, and this one fit:
zWLZAdA.png

I do recognise it, probably from some laptop I took apart. Am I okay to use it? It does seem to screw in without too much force, and it has nice top base with a rather long diameter... which should be enough to hold the drive down, I hope.

Thank you for your consistent replies, I appreciate it, without it I would be all over manuals and posts to figure things out.