Question M.2 SSD constantly crashing when under use

Feb 1, 2020
I recently bought a new M.2 SSD, my primary use for it was to transfer all my Games to it, to be a fast dedicated gaming drive.
I viewed video guides and spoke with a friend in IT about steps to correctly install it. The drive works fine, until its under any sort of stress. such as running a game that is installed on it.

But the interesting part is how it acts once it "crashes". the game doesnt crash, and the system doesnt crash or reboot. the Game just starts to glitch out. then once i close it and access the SSD, I get read errors, i cant move any files to or from the drive, and i cant launch anything that is on the drive. I imagine if my OS was installed on the drive, it would probably crash the OS.

Under the instructions of my IT friend, i updated my Motherboard Bios to see if that helped, it did not. So i was looking for suggestions to fix the problem, short of sending it back to the retailer to test for faults.
All suggestions and questions welcome.

M.2 SSD = Force Series MP510 (NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 SSD)
Motherboard = ASUS ROG strix z270e Gaming Motherboard
Bios = Version 1302. 2018/04/18

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Which slot are you populating the Corsair SSD with? Is that the only SSD you're working with or do you have the OS on an HDD? Also, when the issue crops up, have you seen what the temps are for your SSD?

Feb 1, 2020
My OS is installed on a standard 500gb Kingston SSD (not m.2), and i also have a 4TB HDD.

The M.2 SSD is just installed in one of the m.2 ports on the motherboard.
I havnt done anything extra to the ssd, so if it has a heatsink by default then yes, otherwise no.
and no i have not checked the temp when it crashes, but it crashes pretty damn fast, so would overheating be an issue?

Oh, and ive tried installing in either of the 2 available m.2 ports.

Last edited: