Question M.2 SSD has disappeared after BIOS update

Whyexes

Reputable
Feb 10, 2017
I purchased a 5600X to replace my current CPU, a 2600X. My motherboard is a B450 Gaming ITX/ac, and on the support page I saw I needed to upgrade to BIOS version 4.20 for 5000 series CPU support.

I followed the instructions for flashing new BIOS, installing them from a USB within the UEFI, and it completed successfully. I rebooted, checked that the BIOS version was correct and it was, and then shut down and swapped the CPU.

The computer boots strangely now. Everything lights up, the fans spin for a second, then it just sits there for about 4-5 second before it spins up again and posts. However, it fails to boot into windows and Ive now discovered that its because the M.2 SSD (WD Blue 500GB SATA SSD) is not being recognized, by anything. It doesnt show in the BIOS under storage, the boot menu, I made a Windows 10 install USB and it doesnt show in the options there either.

This is a little concerning since its where most of my stuff was stored that wasn't a video game, and obviously because its where my OS was. Im not really sure what to do at this point.

Whyexes

Reputable
Feb 10, 2017
Reset your bios and check in the bios, what type of connection the M.2 is running (PCI-E or Sata).
I have rolled the BIOS back to 3.40, the newest revision that doesnt have a warning about Pinnacle Ridge CPUs, and re-installed my 2600X for the time being.

The boot has gone back to normal, no longer stops for 5 seconds before post, the post screen is no longer displaying incorrectly, the M.2 is recognized again, and boots fine. Its is SATA, AHCI.

So this leaves me suspicious that this may just be messed up BIOS straight from the manufacturer, but I figure if that was the case, that it would be a little more widely documented?

Obviously Id still like the troubleshoot this if possible, it would be nice to use the processor I bought lol.