Question M.2 SSD "Health" is 90 percent after 90 days. Should I be worried ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Is that health showing up on Crucial's Storage Executive Tool or another app? Does the SSD have any pending firmware updates? if you're on Windows 10, checka nd see what Task Manager's process monitor shows, i.e, Disk Usage.

Your picture indicates 24 hours a day operation for 90 days.

It also indicates 25 terabytes of writes in 90 days; thats about 100 per year.

That is quite high. I write only about 6 terabytes a year.

So you have an unusual use case, writing much more than most people.

I would NOT be in a panic, but you might have problems with a warranty claim if you ever had to make a claim.

But SSDs usually last well beyond their rated TBW. I have no idea what the TBW rating is on that drive.

I would continue to use it, realizing I am writing an unusually large amount of data.

Dec 4, 2021

I would NOT be in a panic, but you might have problems with a warranty claim if you ever had to make a claim.

But SSDs usually last well beyond their rated TBW. I have no idea what the TBW rating is on that drive.

I would continue to use it, realizing I am writing an unusually large amount of data.
I dont use this storage that much I dont undertand

Dec 4, 2021
I dont use this storage that much I dont undertand

Also, I dont even use or tranfer that much files

All I know is what is in that picture of the Sabrent drive.

Those figures may be accurate or may be bogus. I have NO idea.

It also shows nearly 900 powers on in 90 days.

2157 hours is almost exactly 90 days, so I assume 24 hours a day operation.

It could be a Crystal Disk Info error.....I have NO idea.

If the numbers are correct, you apparently have some stuff going on that you don't know about.

Dec 4, 2021
All I know is what is in that picture of the Sabrent drive.

Those figures may be accurate or may be bogus. I have NO idea.

It also shows nearly 900 powers on in 90 days.

2157 hours is almost exactly 90 days, so I assume 24 hours a day operation.

It could be a Crystal Disk Info error.....I have NO idea.

If the numbers are correct, you apparently have some stuff going on that you don't know about.
Thanks for explaining

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GVDNTGJ/ref=twister_B087DY7KVS?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Crucial P2 2TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD Up to 2400MB/s - CT2000P2SSD8 2TB Version
Here is link of a snap on crystal disk infohttps://mega.nz/file/9CRkDLaS#_YHA5bMPH0pqGv3y-g8W8cWfKy876bHwcR7ydF_kB7o
Your pic is showing 11.5GB/hr going to the ssd.
I don't know what is normal but I see 1.5GB/hr going to my ssd.

It's also a little confusing when you say a crucial unit and then show a sabrent pic.

D

Deleted member 14196

You may have some crypto mining or some nefarious software running in the background that you’re not aware of

The 90% is a health rating based on the SSD's remaining life. However it looks a little bit low to me based on how much you've written. For a Crucial disk you'll get a more accurate reading from Crucial Storage Executive. You've done a lot of writes in a fairly short space of time, if your not running any I/O intensive workloads then I suggest you leave the Task Manager open but on the details tab add the column 'I/O bytes written'. Alternatively you can use Process Explorer and that will tell you how much each process is writing, I would just leave it open all day.

Recently I had an issue with my machine writing up to 1TB a day, it wrote over 80TB to my main drive in a short space of time. After investigating I discovered it was Kaspersky Antivirus background drive scans doing it, unfortunately it was by design and unfixable. I looked at a few anti virus programs and found that it's quite common for them to write large amounts of data to the OS drive when doing a full scan of a big drive. The only one that didn't was Norton so I've switched to that, probably not you issue but worth a check if your not intentionally running heavy workloads.

Dec 4, 2021
The 90% is a health rating based on the SSD's remaining life. However it looks a little bit low to me based on how much you've written. For a Crucial disk you'll get a more accurate reading from Crucial Storage Executive. You've done a lot of writes in a fairly short space of time, if your not running any I/O intensive workloads then I suggest you leave the Task Manager open but on the details tab add the column 'I/O bytes written'. Alternatively you can use Process Explorer and that will tell you how much each process is writing, I would just leave it open all day.

Recently I had an issue with my machine writing up to 1TB a day, it wrote over 80TB to my main drive in a short space of time. After investigating I discovered it was Kaspersky Antivirus background drive scans doing it, unfortunately it was by design and unfixable. I looked at a few anti virus programs and found that it's quite common for them to write large amounts of data to the OS drive when doing a full scan of a big drive. The only one that didn't was Norton so I've switched to that, probably not you issue but worth a check if your not intentionally running heavy workloads.
Thanks I will look into that I formated my pc and I use the inti virus that comes inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.