[SOLVED] M.2 SSD Help

OrngOne

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Just installed (2) 970EVO Plus M.2 500GB SSD's on a MSI Gaming Edge WIFI board. On initial start up after installing windows the second SSD was not showing up on system. Was able to find a tutorial to fix it where it is now showing. When I try to load files to the drive I am able to select the drive but the "Install button" will not allow me to select it to initiate the download. Anyone ran into this before or know of a solution?

Solution
When I try to load files to the drive I am able to select the drive but the "Install button" will not allow me to select it to initiate the download.
i don't understand what this means.

you are trying to copy files to the drive and you get an error with an "Install" button?
you are trying to download something to store on this drive and you are getting this error?
or you are trying to run an installer to install an application using this drive as the installation directory and you are not able to select this location?

if the latter;
usually issues with drive's access being blocked has to do with User Account Control and/or other OS security features.
but if you can access the drive through Exporer and create and edit files...

OrngOne

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Just installed (2) 970EVO Plus M.2 500GB SSD's on a MSI Gaming Edge WIFI board. On initial start up after installing windows the second SSD was not showing up on system. Was able to find a tutorial to fix it where it is now showing. When I try to load files to the drive I am able to select the drive but the "Install button" will not allow me to select it to initiate the download. Anyone ran into this before or know of a solution?

Go to disk management and format the drive to the new system if already formated and showing see if it has a drive letter if not label the drive. If it has a label make sure the drive is initialized

When I try to load files to the drive I am able to select the drive but the "Install button" will not allow me to select it to initiate the download.

you are trying to copy files to the drive and you get an error with an "Install" button?
you are trying to download something to store on this drive and you are getting this error?
or you are trying to run an installer to install an application using this drive as the installation directory and you are not able to select this location?

if the latter;
usually issues with drive's access being blocked has to do with User Account Control and/or other OS security features.
but if you can access the drive through Exporer and create and edit files there then this would not be the issue.

Solution

OrngOne

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Go to disk management and format the drive to the new system if already formated and showing see if it has a drive letter if not label the drive. If it has a label make sure the drive is initialized
Disk is labeled - noted as "Healthy (Basic Data Partition), drive is formatted and shows to be "online".

OrngOne

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011

if the latter;
but if you can access the drive through Exporer and create and edit files there then this would not be the issue.

I am trying to set up Steam on the second drive. I have my operating system on the first drive and want all my gaming files to be on the second drive. When you open steam to download you get a dialog box that asks you to pick your destination to download. When I choose my second drive the "install button" stays gray (will not allow me to select).

Disk is labeled - noted as "Healthy (Basic Data Partition), drive is formatted and shows to be "online"

USAFRet

Titan
I am trying to set up Steam on the second drive. I have my operating system on the first drive and want all my gaming files to be on the second drive. When you open steam to download you get a dialog box that asks you to pick your destination to download. When I choose my second drive the "install button" stays gray (will not allow me to select).

Disk is labeled - noted as "Healthy (Basic Data Partition), drive is formatted and shows to be "online"
The Steam client is installed on your main drive, and you're trying to load Steam games on this secondary drive?

You have to add a Library folder for it first.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

OrngOne

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
The Steam client is installed on your main drive, and you're trying to load Steam games on this secondary drive?

You have to add a Library folder for it first.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png
I am trying to install Steam Client on second drive

OrngOne

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011

No

Windows 10 and Acad Architecture is installed on 1st drive.
2nd drive is empty. I want to install Steam Client on 2nd Drive.