[SOLVED] M.2 SSD in Hyundai Mini PC

RayLeiter

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2013
I have a Hyundai Mini PC Model HTN4000MPC.
It has a bay for a 2.5 inch drive (not sure whether it has to be SSD or if it can be mechanical drive).
It also has a M.2 socket for either an M.2 2242 or an M.2 2280 Key M(single slot) board.
2 questions:
  1. Which M.2 SSD can I use (I don't need anything bigger than 256GB).
  2. Will the drive bay take either Solid State or Mechanical drive (I ask because the mechanical drive will probably draw more current).
Thanks

Solution
The M.2 port can be either SATA, or NVMe, or eiter.

You NEED to determine which is the case.

A 2.5" space can generally take a 2.5" HDD OR SSD.

However, is it this device?

That indicates an eMMC drive, which is neither 2.5" or M.2.

RayLeiter

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2013
I may not have made myself clear in my question.
In your sentence "The M.2 port can be either SATA, or NVMe, or eiter. ", did you mean "neither" for "eiter"?
If so, I can say for sure my M.2 connector is NVMe PCIe with the M key on the card edge.
Furthermore, the bay in the bottom of the plastic box that contains the computer is definitely for a 2.5-inch drive.
As for your question about whether my unit is the one you provided the link for, the answer is Yes, it is that model.
It is also true that the unit as I received it (without any upgrades) does have an eMMC drive of 64GB which contains Windows 11.
It is not clear to me why you mention the eMMC drive -- it has no bearing on what I do in the way of upgrades.
The one thing I don't think I can upgrade is the memory -- it has 4GB and I'm stuck with that.
However, I see no reason why I couldn't upgrade "disk" storage with either the M.2 SSD or a 2.5-inch mechanical or a 2.5-inch SSD. That is, when it comes to the 2.5-inch drive bay, I could populate it with EITHER an SSD or a mechanical drive.
Of course, the M.2 socket is for an SSD.
I believe if I upgraded "disk" storage via M.2 or the 2.5-inch bay, I could then decide which device (either the current eMMC or the 2.5-inch drive would be the boot drive. As far as I know, the M.2 device is not a candidate for a boot device!

My real question is: which SSD should I get?
I believe this would work: "Transcend 128GB Nvme PCIe Gen3 X4 MTE110S M.2 SSD"

What do you think?
Ray

USAFRet

Titan
Sorry....an M.2 port can be either or both of those.

I mentioned the eMMC, because the spec listing I saw mentioned it, with no other specific drive.

You can apparently add a 2.5" SATA drive. Either spinning HDD or SSD.
Same size, same interface.

For the M.2, if it can accept an NVMe drive, then that would apparently work.
Samsung 970 EVO, for instance.
It does not say PCIe 2.0, 3.0, x2 or x4.
Which would make a theoretical difference in benchmark speeds of the drive.

However...in a system with that CPU and only 4GB RAM, I wouldn't expect to see any user facing difference if using an NVMe drive or SATA III SSD.
The rest of the system has far more impact on performance than the raw sequential drive speed.

I may not have made myself clear in my question.
In your sentence "The M.2 port can be either SATA, or NVMe, or eiter. ", did you mean "neither" for "eiter"?
If so, I can say for sure my M.2 connector is NVMe PCIe with the M key on the card edge.
Furthermore, the bay in the bottom of the plastic box that contains the computer is definitely for a 2.5-inch drive.
As for your question about whether my unit is the one you provided the link for, the answer is Yes, it is that model.
It is also true that the unit as I received it (without any upgrades) does have an eMMC drive of 64GB which contains Windows 11.
It is not clear to me why you mention the eMMC drive -- it has no bearing on what I do in the way of upgrades.
The one thing I don't think I can upgrade is the memory -- it has 4GB and I'm stuck with that.
However, I see no reason why I couldn't upgrade "disk" storage with either the M.2 SSD or a 2.5-inch mechanical or a 2.5-inch SSD. That is, when it comes to the 2.5-inch drive bay, I could populate it with EITHER an SSD or a mechanical drive.
Of course, the M.2 socket is for an SSD.
I believe if I upgraded "disk" storage via M.2 or the 2.5-inch bay, I could then decide which device (either the current eMMC or the 2.5-inch drive would be the boot drive. As far as I know, the M.2 device is not a candidate for a boot device!

My real question is: which SSD should I get?
I believe this would work: "Transcend 128GB Nvme PCIe Gen3 X4 MTE110S M.2 SSD"

What do you think?
Ray
it is doubtful you would see a perf diff between a 2.5 ssd and a m.2.
If the 2.5 slot is a plug in type with no extra cables needed get a 2.5 ssd.
Now your not fussin with all the different m.2 stuff.