Question M.2 SSD isn't being detected in BIOS, and I cannot figure why

Oct 28, 2022
Hi!

So, I've recently built my computer from nearly scratch (kept my HDD and SSD for reasons of why throw away something that ain't busted), and I had the "brilliant!" idea to add an M.2 SSD to my build.

My motherboard is the GIGABYTE Aorus x570 Elite, which, according to this manual, is supposed to have dual mode M.2 sockets, so I figured that it wouldn't be a problem to add "any" M.2 SSD, regardless of the key, to it.

I then bought this drive, and plugged it in... Only to find nothing in either BIOS or Device Manager/Partition Manager.

Solutions attempted:

• I updated my BIOS as of this morning: Nothing shows.
  • Enabled Legacy boot: Nothing shows.

Solutions I would try, if told it's likely to help:

• Swap it to the other slot.
  • Change the SATA ports for my drives.

Hi!

So, I've recently built my computer from nearly scratch (kept my HDD and SSD for reasons of why throw away something that ain't busted), and I had the "brilliant!" idea to add an M.2 SSD to my build.

My motherboard is the GIGABYTE Aorus x570 Elite, which, according to this manual, is supposed to have dual mode M.2 sockets, so I figured that it wouldn't be a problem to add "any" M.2 SSD, regardless of the key, to it.

I then bought this drive, and plugged it in... Only to find nothing in either BIOS or Device Manager/Partition Manager.

Solutions attempted:

• I updated my BIOS as of this morning: Nothing shows.
  • Enabled Legacy boot: Nothing shows.
Solutions I would try, if told it's likely to help:

• Swap it to the other slot.
  • Change the SATA ports for my drives.
Unplug all sata drives.

Test each m.2 slot.

Oct 28, 2022
Unplug all sata drives.

Test each m.2 slot.

So, after I posted that, I decided to test the other M.2 Socket.

No dice.

With this new build, was there a fresh OS wipe and reinstall?

I didn't quite wipe my OS, I simply made space on a drive to do a simpler install to try if everything installed right. (Didn't quite wanna lost the stuff I had on my desktop, and whatnot.)

As fresh as the OS can be, while being on a drive that has a few chunks of software on another partition.

BIOS updated to the most recent non-beta version?

Seems to be. I can try re-doing that, and making sure I have the most recent BIOS.

Oct 28, 2022
Well yes.
And then Device Manager/Disk Management....

I kinda also want to point out that I highly doubt OS issues would stop my Mobo from seeing the drive? Like, I can expect those issues stopping the OS from seeing the Drive, but...

I was really worried that the drive might be incompatible. The fact you guys moved past that gives me hope that I'm not a complete twit :sweatsmile:

USAFRet

Titan
I didn't quite wipe my OS, I simply made space on a drive to do a simpler install to try if everything installed right. (Didn't quite wanna lost the stuff I had on my desktop, and whatnot.)

As fresh as the OS can be, while being on a drive that has a few chunks of software on another partition.
No idea what this actually means, but it does NOT sound like a real OS install.

Oct 28, 2022
I have a drive that didn't have windows on it. It's the only one that currently has windows on it, that is plugged in.

It has two partitions: One is a windows install I did from scratch on that build. The other is a couple folders with some dumb software I made à la script kiddie while trying to code.

Oct 28, 2022
The M.2 ports are SATA capable.
Which that drive is.

The OS install referred to potential other problems.

Nah, I don't plan on plugging my original install drive in until all the kinks are worked out, and even then only via a USB bay to retrieve the important files (which, yes, I agree, I could have had a brain and backed up to a proper cloud like a big boy... And yet, here we are.)

USAFRet

Titan
Nah, I don't plan on plugging my original install drive in until all the kinks are worked out, and even then only via a USB bay to retrieve the important files (which, yes, I agree, I could have had a brain and backed up to a proper cloud like a big boy... And yet, here we are.)
OK, so you're not using the OS from the old system. Correct?

Is it possible to test this SATA III M.2 drive in another system?
Just for functionality.

Oct 28, 2022

Just for functionality.

Not the olde OS, no. (The SATA cable isn't even plugged into the drive with the old OS, to avoid that.)

I unfortunately do not have access to another Mobo with one (or more) M.2 sockets. How likely is it that the drive itself is dead?

And for the record, I have now officially tried the drive in both slots, with the OS-enabled drive in all 6 of the SATA ports...

It still doesn't appear in the BIOS.

Oct 28, 2022

Just for functionality.

So I just... Feel bad, because I realized that I wasn't seating the thing right, because of the heat guard...

Problem averted for good, so it seems!