[SOLVED] M.2 SSD Issue

badwolf713

Reputable
Apr 20, 2017
I just installed a new m.2 SSD into my system today and now my computer will not even turn on. I fear that the mobo may possibly be fried even though I'm very cautious with my computer and take all the precautions I can.

My motherboard is a MSI Z270 sli plus and the SSD I installed is an Intel 660p 1tb nvme. I've tried installing it in both slots and even removed it from the system and yet no power.

I'll be checking this thread regularly to answer any questions if more info is needed. Any and all help is appreciated.

badwolf713

Reputable
Apr 20, 2017
I just installed a new m.2 SSD into my system today and now my computer will not even turn on. I fear that the mobo may possibly be fried even though I'm very cautious with my computer and take all the precautions I can.

My motherboard is a MSI Z270 sli plus and the SSD I installed is an Intel 660p 1tb nvme. I've tried installing it in both slots and even removed it from the system and yet no power.

I'll be checking this thread regularly to answer any questions if more info is needed. Any and all help is appreciated.

badwolf713

Reputable
Apr 20, 2017
If literally nothing happens at all, it sooner sounds like something could have become knocked / nudged out of place.

I would cover each and every one of these steps first, no matter how tedious:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Presumably you just installed M2 with the standoff normally? Did you have to remove anything?
Alright I just got home and I'm gonna start going through and checking. Yes when I installed the m.2 there are 2 slots on either side of my gpu that are uncovered and didn't require anything being removed. This was my first time installing one and I thought it went smoothly (found the correct angle to insert it immediately) until my PC wouldn't turn on.

badwolf713

Reputable
Apr 20, 2017
If literally nothing happens at all, it sooner sounds like something could have become knocked / nudged out of place.

I would cover each and every one of these steps first, no matter how tedious:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Presumably you just installed M2 with the standoff normally? Did you have to remove anything?
Ok I'm powered on and in bios but now it won't boot because it shows only the m.2 drive in the bios

badwolf713

Reputable
Apr 20, 2017
What if removing the m.2 drive? Are the other drives detected? By the way, what other drives using?
If I remove the m.2 it boots normally. If I boot with m.2 in either slot then it tries to boot from it and is the only drive shown in the bios. I also have a 480gb Samsung 860 Evo SSD and a Seagate 4tb hdd connected to my system.