[SOLVED] M.2 SSD not detected

njitgrad

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2012
I'm trying to build a system with a Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD (as the sole drive in the system) and when I try to do a Windows 10 USB install it is not detecting the M.2 drive in Windows setup.

I followed all instructions in YouTube tutorials on how to install Windows on an M.2 drive and I even talked with Asus tech support yesterday.

After clearing the CMOS and following their troubleshoooting steps Asus told me to try another M.2 drive (which I purchased locally today --- same exact drive) and once I installed it I got the same result.

Suggestions? It's an Asus Prime Z590-P mobo.

I certainly hope I can return the M.2 drives (one was from NewEgg, the other from MicroCenter).

Solution
You should not have any problems with returning locally purchased drive.

Also you can just use both drives in your pc. This motherboard has 3 M.2 slots.

njitgrad

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2012
Which M.2 slot are you using for your NVME M.2 drive?
Which cpu are you using?

Upper M.2 slot is available only, if you use 11th gen cpu. With 10th gen cpu this slot is not available.

I didn't even see the other slot (M.2_2) because it was on the other side of the GPU. When I transferred the M.2 from the M.2_1 to the M.2_2 it worked!

So now the question is....will I be able to return either of the M.2 chips? One was from Newegg the other I purchased locally at MicroCenter.

BTW, thanks so much!