M.2 SSD not recognized as bootable device

lewbob

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
I bought a Samsung 960 EVO NVMe m.2 SSD and after plugging it in to my z97 deluxe mobo, I cloned the data from my current hard drive (which is running Windows 10) on to it. After successfully cloning my old drive into my new m.2 ssd, I unplugged my hard drive, and attempted to boot from my ssd. It took me to the bios where the ssd didn’t show up in the boot menu. It says “The system cannot find any bootable devices.” How can I boot from my ssd? I know that my computer must recognize the new device because I successfully cloned all my data to it.

My system specs are:
z97 deluxe
16gb ram
Gtx 980

Solution
NVME SSDs do not appear within the BIOS until Windows creates the system partition with the EFI Boot Sector. Your M.2 SSD contains UEFI driver information within the firmware. By disabling the CSM module Windows will read and utilize the M.2-specific UEFI driver.

O course, your cloned drive did not go through that procedure where Windows reads and utilizes the NVMe drives firmware. Since that step was skipped your cloned drive does not work correctly.
NVME SSDs do not appear within the BIOS until Windows creates the system partition with the EFI Boot Sector. Your M.2 SSD contains UEFI driver information within the firmware. By disabling the CSM module Windows will read and utilize the M.2-specific UEFI driver.

O course, your cloned drive did not go through that procedure where Windows reads and utilizes the NVMe drives firmware. Since that step was skipped your cloned drive does not work correctly.

Solution