Solnfected

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016
Hello everyone,

I assembled my new system last week, but I couldn't see my Samsung Pro SSDs in BIOS, no matter what I did. I couldn't figure this out, even after talking to ASUS support and digging through the internet for the last 4 days. Would anyone be so kind as to help me out with this?

CPU: 5930k
MB: Asus X99-Deluxe

Last edited by a moderator:

Solnfected

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016
I can install windows on them, but I didn't. I installed windows on an another SATA SSD. M.2's are showing up in windows or windows installation screen. But not in BIOS. Like mcnumpty23 said, mine work with windows too, but I want to use them as boot drive in RAID.

Kurz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006

Try a BIOS update, perhaps a Firmware update on the M.2 Drives as well. Perhaps that'll fix the issue.

i only have one so havent tried raid unfortunately though i know my board can do it with m2 drives

cant even remember when i was in the bios--whats the option to put them in raid?

can you just select that even though they dont appear--then press the raid menu key when starting the pc to see if that sees them

Solnfected

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016

I have the latest BIOS version, but I don't know to update the firmware of the SSD. Can you explain how, if you know?

Solnfected

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016

There should be an option in BIOS, under PCH Storage Config. SATA Mode(this exists) and M.2 PCIE Storage RAID Support(this doesn't exist in my bios).

Solnfected

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016

The first one said after clearing the cmos;
BIOS->Boot->CSM (Compatibility Support Module)->Disable.
BIOS->Boot->Secure Boot->OS Type->Other OS.
Advanced -> PCH Storage Configuration -> SATA Mode Selection -> RAID.
Advanced -> PCH Storage Configuration -> M.2 PCIE Storage RAID Support -> Disable (Enable if not work). [My only problem is with this part]
F10 saved, reboot and go into BIOS again.
Advanced-> IRST -> Create RAID Volume. [And since I can't set the M.2 RAID Support, this also doesn't show up]
Build RAID 1 and keep M.2 as a non RAID member.
BIOS -> BOOT -> Secure Boot -> OS Type -> Windows UEFI.
F10 save, and boot to Windows OS.

And second one told me that the ssd card is not supported by the MB according to the supported vendors list, after telling me to do the exact same things as the first one did...

Solnfected

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016

And magician says that 950's are up to date.

Solnfected

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016
I just got an another solution from an another Asus representative;

First of all the X99 Motherboards are not yet able to create a RAID with M.2 drives. The first boards with possible M.2 Raid are the boards with the Z170 chipset. You might be able to create a software reaid with special tools, the controler of the board itself cannot create an M.2 raid though. Softwareraid will not be bootable.

I didn't know this. So, sorry for posting this question in the first place. But now, I'd appreciate a tip about how to create a RAID in Windows. Or instead of this should I use one of my M.2 drives as boot drive without RAID?

Solnfected

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016

Hey, I have those two 950 Pros and a 850 EVO and 2 other SanDisk SSDs (Evo and SanDisks are nearly identical).

Should I put those 3 in RAID0 and use them as a boot drive, and use 950s seperetaly or in RAID0 (in OS) for rendering and computing? I have other SSHDs for backup and storage. SSDs will only be used for speed.

OR;

Put the OS in one of the 950s and use the other one for fast stuff again and put other 3 SSDs in RAID0 anyway?

Which one do you think would be better? Thanks for all your recommendations anyways :)

normally wouldnt recomend raid 0 for ssds--tried it wasnt noticably faster since 1 ssd is so fast anyway

but since you have m2 drives as well then copying from raid0 to the m2 drives would probably benefit from the speed of raid0

what about backup solution? raid0 doesnt give you that

Solnfected

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016

I don't have any back up solutions, my important data will be on the SSHDs anyway. I'll use SSDs only for the OS, rendering and CAD programs. If it fails, just format and reinstall everything.

I understand you about the communication between RAID0 and M.2s but about smoothness and boot time, would OS on M.2 or RAID0 make any evident difference?

Thestrongman2

Commendable
Dec 11, 2016

No i am making it as storage for games

TRENDING THREADS