Question M.2 SSD not showing up in bios

Mar 25, 2019
Hello! Very recently I bought a Crucial P1 500GB SSD that I installed on my Z170A PC Mate Motherboard.
I asked on a PC building subreddit before I bought the SSD if it would be compatible with my motherboard, and everybody told me it was.

After installing the m.2 the way every video and the manual for my motherboard has shown, it seems my PC can not find it at all. I have checked disk management and BIOS multiple times and come up empty handed. At first I thought it was because my 2 hard drives were connected to SATA ports 5/6, which I read that connecting an m.2 disables.

I unplugged my graphics card and changed the hard drives to SATA ports 3/4,but my PC would not boot at all and the BIOS couldn't locate my pre-existing disks, so I moved them to SATA ports 1/2 instead, which helped and made the PC boot up. But the M.2 is still not showing up in either disk management or BIOS, and the M.2 Genie button in my bios is hollowed out and not pressable.

Did I buy faulty hardware or is it something I'm missing? If this is not a place to ask for help could you please guide me to somewhere suitable for these questions?

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Mar 25, 2019
Might help:
Johnk4 .....Post
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuY9WjDP_UY

Already watched that video, didn't help. I'm not planning to install windows on the m.2, I just want to use it for storing my games and programs. Also the BIOS in the video recognizes that guy's m.2 drive, but mine doesn't.

Mar 10, 2019
Is your m2.0 ssd double sided? When you insert it in the slot does it feel like a difficult fit? Some motherboards only accept single sided ssds. In my case, I did not screw in the ssd and the bios recognized it.

Sep 3, 2020
Did you fix it?

Yes, I managed to fix it.
I unplugged my HDD, SSD and external CD Drive.
Then I unplugged and plugged the m.2 just in case it wasnt properly connected.

I don't really remember which SATA Ports I used but I think 3/4/5.
I booted with only the m.2 and it showed up in BIOS. Now I'm using SATA 1/2 for my external Drives und SATA 3 die the CD drive and it's working perfectly fine!