Question M.2 SSD only showing 2gb instead of 1tb ?

Nov 6, 2022
Just bought a new mobo, cpu, ram, and m.2 SSD. I planned on putting OS onto the m.2 SSD but it only has 2gb available in the mobo. I put it into a different PC and was able to format it, along with being able to use all 930 or so GBs. But as soon as I put it back into my new mobo, only shows 2gb. The bios shows that it has 1tb of storage, but disk management only shows the 2gb. Im at a loss here so any help would be nice.

Mobo is the B660m Pro RS

Nov 6, 2022
cpu - i3-12100f (bought used but honestly looked brand new)
mobo - ASRock B660m PRO RS (bought new)
m.2 - TD XPS Series SSD 1TB https://www.ebay.com/itm/134091496888
ram - corsair vengence ddr4 3000mhz (taken out of an old build and running at 3000 through XMP)
I probably should mention this; I reformatted my old SSD that had windows on it for this new board, after finding out the m.2 wasn't working. I put windows back onto the same SSD.
lmk if i need to add anything else
forgot to add, i have a 3060ti
The mobo i used for the m.2 to work is the Z590-A PRO

Nov 6, 2022
Just checked bios again, now it seems to only detect 2.1gb in the bios aswell. It seems that every time i restart it shows 1tb one time, and 2.1 gb the next time, or next few times.

USAFRet

Titan
Can you dumb it down for what you want me to do? Im not sure what you mean by copy 300gb then copy it back out
Find a whole bunch of data on your system.
Movies, music, whatever.

Copy a big chunk of it to this no-name drive.
THen, copy that back out to some other drive or location.

What happens with scam devices is that the firmware is modded to report as X_TB.
In reality, the drive can only hold a tiny fraction of that.
But it will tell you it is copying and holding lots and lots.
In reality, behind the scenes, it is simply overwriting again and again.

The real test is when you copy that 'lots and lots' back out to some other device.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Nov 6, 2022
Just ended up swapping out our M.2s. The one i had the issue with, as i said, works flawlessly in his computer, and his Western Digital one works flawlessly in mine. Im assuming an incompatibility issue between my board and the drive, but who knows, issues fixed now.