[SOLVED] M.2 SSD PCIe Adapter card not recognized

hotsaucebg3

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2012
Hello. I got me one of those:
item_L_42922908_5d029f954d3cd.jpg

Then I got me one of those:
553182801.samsung-970-evo-plus-250gb-mz-v7s250bw.jpg

I have plugged in the card, but the problem is that the windows 7 doesn't recognize the Adapter card, under Device Manager its shows as ?Other Devices - PCI Device.

My motherboard is AsRock A770DE+
A770DE+(L1).png

I have plugged the card in the green pcie x16, the GPU in the orange one.

Could the mobo be the problem, because it's a bit old?

Solution
Typically, you should install your GPU in the PCIe x16 closest to your CPU (in this case the green slot). Then try your adapter in the orange slot.

This motherboard is very likely to have trouble with the new adapter. As you noted, this is an old device. Did the device come with any drivers?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Typically, you should install your GPU in the PCIe x16 closest to your CPU (in this case the green slot). Then try your adapter in the orange slot.

This motherboard is very likely to have trouble with the new adapter. As you noted, this is an old device. Did the device come with any drivers?

Solution
Typically the bios of these old boards cannot recognize SSD over PCIe as PCIe SSDs are a newer thing.

Also, windows 7 does not support PCIe based SSDs.

Your best bet is to upgrade to Windows 10 (should be free) and update your bios to the latest. Even then it may not work.

hotsaucebg3

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2012
Okay I've installed Samsung nvme SSD drivers, and it now recognizes the drive, and it is usable.
However when I try to install windows on it or migrate the current win, it doesn't work. It does not show up in the BIOS, I guess I need to upgrade my mobo+cpu+ram

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I have switched the positions of GPU and the adapter, but no result, still the same.

By the way, do I have to attach the SATA connection to the MB?
What SSD do you have installed in the device?

Do you have a link to the actual product that you can share?

The SATA cable may be required. Depends on the interface. It may just draw power from the PCIe slot.

An instruction manual may cover this.

hotsaucebg3

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2012
I use the Samsung 970 Evo plus 250GB NVMe M.2 on the adapter card.

I'm actually currently running on 2x 128GB Kingston uv400 ssd, and I wanted to use the 3x-4x faster speeds that M.2 supports.

Anyway I guess I will collect money for newer budget motherboard/cpu to be able to boot from the nvme, thanks for the comments.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I use the Samsung 970 Evo plus 250GB NVMe M.2 on the adapter card.

I'm actually currently running on 2x 128GB Kingston uv400 ssd, and I wanted to use the 3x-4x faster speeds that M.2 supports.

Anyway I guess I will collect money for newer budget motherboard/cpu to be able to boot from the nvme, thanks for the comments.

It's important to not confuse benchmark performance with real-world performance. NVMe drives are certainly an improvement, but you're not going to see that much of a benefit without very specific types of workloads. It's a bit like a $50,000 sports car vs. a $200,000 sports car if you're mostly using it to drive to work and pick up groceries.