Question M.2 SSD running 52 degrees without data on the drive.

Nov 7, 2019
Hey guys.

As said in the title, my Samsung 970 EVO Plus is running some high temps, even without data on the drive and with aftermarket heatsink mounted.

I use the drive for game files for better load times, and while playing the drive gets to 63 degrees whith moderate airflow and aftermarket heatsink.
When not playing and on a fresh boot the drive gets to 52 degrees.

I have been in contact with Samsung support which just states that 52 degrees is within the normal operating temps.

I get that.
The drive is rated to operate at 0 - 70 degrees.

But why on earth is the temp at 52 degrees when i even formated the drive to see if it made any changes.

So my question is, do any of you guys know why these drives get so hot when doing absolutely nothing?

Thank you.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It's pretty normal for the Samsung 970 EVO Plus to idle around 45-50 degrees at idle. Ultimately even when it is idle, it's still performing tasks (depending on what is installed) and it will also take residual heat from the rest of your case.

Ultimately it doesn't have it's own cooler so it may always run a little hotter.

But even here it runs 45 degrees at idle load: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/samsung-970-evo-plus-nvme-m-2-(1tb)-ssd-review,6.html

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Considering its mounted directly to the mobo instead of a more ventilated drive bay, the thermals are going to get high. Just make sure you have adequate air flow. Good thing you are using the heatsink. This will become more and more of an issue as more people migrate to M.2 vs SSD & HDD

Nov 7, 2019
I have an Asus 1080TI turbo graphics card that blows all air out of the case, so that is not the problem.
I even tried deleting all files on the SSD and formating it, and it still is 52 degrees with moderate airflow and heatsink.
It was around 62 degrees before i mounted the heatsink.
Which is very high for a drive that is doing nothing if you ask me.

Nov 7, 2019
I have left it as it is for now.
I mounted the heatsink and the temp droppes around 10 degrees, but my issue is more that i want to know what it is doing that is making is this hot, even while the drive is completely empty.
Samsung support is no help at all, as they can only fling standard pre-made answers at you.