Question M.2 SSD stock heatsink vs aftermarket heatsink (SN850x)

May 17, 2023
Initially, I ordered a SN850x 2TB (without heatsink) and a SABRENT m.2 2280 heatsink for it. Now there is a huge sale on a SN850x (with heatsink) and I was wondering which would be better, SN850x with their original heatsink or with an aftermarket heatsink (SABRENT). Or would it be possible to use the aftermarket heatsink together with the heatsink version?

Thanks

To answer your question, buy whichever combo costs less.

It is the gen 5 devices that really need a heat sink.

A m.2 ssd only generates significant heat during prolonged sequential operations.
Think a virus scan, for example. Most of the activity will be small random I/O and that does not generate much heat.

If there is any sort of airflow over the device you really do not need an aftermarket heat sink.
And, if you do not have any airflow, a heat sink is mostly useless,

In the event that the device heats up enough, the throttling mechanism will protect you from damage.
It will slow the device down a bit until the heat issue is resolved.

May 17, 2023
To answer your question, buy whichever combo costs less.

It is the gen 5 devices that really need a heat sink.

A m.2 ssd only generates significant heat during prolonged sequential operations.
Think a virus scan, for example. Most of the activity will be small random I/O and that does not generate much heat.

If there is any sort of airflow over the device you really do not need an aftermarket heat sink.
And, if you do not have any airflow, a heat sink is mostly useless,

In the event that the device heats up enough, the throttling mechanism will protect you from damage.
It will slow the device down a bit until the heat issue is resolved.
Thanks for your prompt reply. Price is not an issue as there is only a difference of $5 between both combos.

"If there is any sort of airflow over the device you really do not need an aftermarket heat sink." From, what you say here, does that mean that the aftermarket heat sink would be a better choice if I want the best possible temps for the SSD?

I plan to use a SABRENT heat sink that has "copper pipes which makes cooling good". Would it be feasible to use this aftermarket heat sink with the heat sink already installed in the SN850x? Thank you.

I would opt for a m.2 with a heat sink designed for it so long as the motherboard does not provide one.
Many motherboards will include a heat sink for installed m.2 devices.
I would use them first.
I do not think doubling up on a heat sink is worth trying.
A aftermarket heat sink will be designed to mount on a m.2 device that does not have any heat sink.
Ultimately, I think m.2 gen 4 heat sinks are mostly marketing and not needed.
Gen 5 devices do seem to require some sort of cooling.

Again, any cooling needs some sort of airflow over the cooler to be more effective.