Question M.2 SSD System Crash issue, not detected in BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2020
Hey, My SSD is XPG Spectrix S40G.
Motherboard Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4.
Windows 10 system

Almost since I built my PC, which has been a couple of months, I ran into issues with my system crashing into bluescreen, after which the SSD was not detected in BIOS - I had 'boot from device' text line pop up, until I switched off power button on my case, and then booted back on. (Resetting didn't do anything, my SSD and boot priority was still gone.)

Issue is partially resolved since I migrated my OS to HDD, using Macrium Reflect. Used PC for 2-3 days and hasn’t witnessed a single crash. Before I had crashes at least twice a day and decided it’s finally time to do something with it.

It's rather obvious to me SSD may be the issue since I migrated OS - but I wonder if I use the warranty, how can I prove there were such issues, if my PC was crashing sometimes daily, sometimes not at all for weeks? Running tests in Victoria software doesn't show any disc errors. (Though Victoria software shows there were 36 unsafe shutdowns and 332 power cycles.)
(If I wipe my disc for eventual warranty, will the Victoria or such logs persist or does it reset?)

Some of the things I’ve done over months to fix this, or random things that came to my mind:
  • BIOS was updated to the most recent version, which didn't fix issue.
  • I ran SSD power cycle for ~1 hour according to some instructions I’ve found. No fix.
  • I changed the slot for my SSD on the motherboard. It was in second slot and moved to first. No fix. (issue may even become more severe after 1 week?)
  • I once had window's "Scanning and repairing drive" when booting my PC. Read some negative opinion about this SSD, someone said they witnessed that as well.
  • I halfway thought it may be my system issue – because right after installing OS (Windows 10) after building PC, I used a lockscreen, showing mountains – it sometimes strangely still loads this wallpaper upon booting, especially 100% loads that old wallpaper after such system crash. After migrating OS to HDD, it still does that, so I guess it’s some inner system problem unrelated fully to crashing issue.
  • At the beggining of building my PC I remembered, that SSD wasn't detected usually right after booting up PC. So I ran my PC and had instant boot menu popping up. It didn't happen anymore nowadays (nowadays only bluescreens). Back then had freezes/blackscreens and those instant boot menu's upon booting PC to work or game. (which were gone like charm if I switched power off and on).
  • Most common bluescreen texts I got: „System thread exception not handled” and „Crticial process died”. It would never load up to 100%, it stayed at 0% until it showed boot menu.
The main thread question is in bold text. I pretty much wonder what you guys think, if all the symptoms prove it's SSD (keep in mind crashes are not persisting on HDD after I migrated OS) and I should use warranty, or is there something more to it.

Thank you!

Jun 14, 2020
Hmm! I'm not sure but 80% certain I didn't, unless Windows Update decided to install any of this. I'll change boot priority back to SSD tomorrow, run this update and check out if that fixes anything.
(if such tiny thing would be a reason for my long time nightmare, I'd be pretty sad:D)
Thread still open for suggestions/solutions tho:):)

Hmm! I'm not sure but 80% certain I didn't, unless Windows Update decided to install any of this. I'll change boot priority back to SSD tomorrow, run this update and check out if that fixes anything.
(if such tiny thing would be a reason for my long time nightmare, I'd be pretty sad:D)
Thread still open for suggestions/solutions tho:):)
You should use the "ADATA SSD Toolbox" software to check if your SSD has the latest firmware update.

ADATA-SX6000-Pro-Toolbox-Utilities.png

Jun 14, 2020
Also... I downloaded the Firmware update file/pack from their website, I read instructions. Firmware update will delete all the data on my SSD ;-;
unknown.png

I can run the firmware update, but i'll - lose my data - The toolbox says I have the latest version somehow, even though I'm certain I never ran upgrade myself
(- If i still have to run update - Can I simply later use Macrium Reflect to transfer system from my HDD back to SSD, just like I did the other way around?)

From your original question about the drives warranty, my guess is if you reported your problem to ADATA Customer Support, they would offer to RMA the SSD. But bluescreen failures like "System thread exception not handled” and "Critical process died” are usually driver errors. Although i am not familiar with Victoria software, if running tests did not find any disc errors, my guess is the drive is not faulty. Try downloading and running a different program called Hard Disk Sentinel to see what it says about the health of your SSD.

DieHHxq.png

Jun 14, 2020
From your original question about the drives warranty, my guess is if you reported your problem to ADATA Customer Support, they would offer to RMA the SSD. But bluescreen failures like "System thread exception not handled” and "Critical process died” are usually driver errors. Although i am not familiar with Victoria software, if running tests did not find any disc errors, my guess is the drive is not faulty. Try downloading and running a different program called Hard Disk Sentinel to see what it says about the health of your SSD.

DieHHxq.png

Well - as expected, it says, that it's okay. All I did was start the program, didn't run any scans because it's not a paid version of sth.
unknown.png

What would you suggest for me to do? How come Toolbox says I have the most recent firmware, despite never installing it?

What would you suggest for me to do? How come Toolbox says I have the most recent firmware, despite never installing it?
The firmware update was released at the end of October last year. Your drive must have been manufactured after the release so it shipped with the new updated firmware.

Go to "PC Settings > Update & Security > OS build info > Windows specifications" to find which Windows version you have. There have been problems with the latest version "2004".

Jun 14, 2020
The firmware update was released at the end of October last year. Your drive must have been manufactured after the release so it shipped with the new updated firmware.

Go to "PC Settings > Update & Security > OS build info > Windows specifications" to find which Windows version you have. There have been problems with the latest version "2004".

I ordered all the PC parts at the beggining on November 2019.

You mean this?

unknown.png

I don't think I have 2004 version :c

Jun 14, 2020
Try going to "Device Manager > Power Options", is it set to High Performance or Balanced? Make sure it is not set to use Sleep Mode or Hibernate when you shut down the PC.

I'm not sure how to find this in Device Manager. I have found power options in control panel.

I always have it set on High Perfomance.
Though I screenshotted every setting - are these correct?

unknown.png

I'm not sure how to find this in Device Manager. I have found power options in control panel.

I always have it set on High Perfomance.
Though I screenshotted every setting - are these correct?

unknown.png
Sorry, i wrote Device Manager by mistake.

I would set "Turn off hard disk after" to Never and "Allow hybrid sleep" to Off.
After a hard disk turns off, when you send it a command it takes a couple of seconds before it responds, while the disk spins back up to speed. Hybrid sleep can cause problems starting the computer back up. All these options are only useful in laptops to save battery power.

Jun 14, 2020
Sorry, i wrote Device Manager by mistake.

I would set "Turn off hard disk after" to Never and "Allow hybrid sleep" to Off.
After a hard disk turns off, when you send it a command it takes a couple of seconds before it responds, while the disk spins back up to speed. Hybrid sleep can cause problems starting the computer back up. All these options are only useful in laptops to save battery power.

Yeah, I don't know if that matters when it comes to crashes from active and booted PC? I swapped these settings off

Btw I appreciate all of your help :giggle:

Yeah, I don't know if that matters when it comes to crashes from active and booted PC? I swapped these settings off

Btw I appreciate all of your help :giggle:
I'm not sure what else to suggest. All the individual parts seem OK, they just don't work properly together for some reason. Perhaps you could list all the parts in your PC? Do you have any add-on cards installed? Any unusual software?

Jun 14, 2020
I'm not sure what else to suggest. All the individual parts seem OK, they just don't work properly together for some reason. Perhaps you could list all the parts in your PC? Do you have any add-on cards installed? Any unusual software?

Well no.. nothing out of ordinary is installed
anything on USB matters? I have, aside from keyboard and mouse, an rgb mouse pad and headphones stand plugged to PC lol
having 4 RGB fans, 1 regular fan, 2 led stripes

PC parts:
ASRock X570 PHANTOM GAMING 4
Ballistix Ballistix Sport LT, DDR4, 16 GB (2x8 GB),3200MHz, CL16
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER Gaming OC 6GB GDDR6
Toshiba P300 1 TB 3.5" SATA III
AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 3.4GHz, 16 MB
SilentiumPC Supremo M2 Gold 550W
SSD ADATA XPG Spectrix S40G 512 GB M.2 2280 PCI-E x4 Gen3 NVMe
Bitfenix enso mesh chassis

Monitor BenQ PD2700Q on HDMI cable

that's what I was kinda the most afraid of.. Seeing nothing out of ordinary while something is wrong :c

Well no.. nothing out of ordinary is installed
anything on USB matters? I have, aside from keyboard and mouse, an rgb mouse pad and headphones stand plugged to PC lol
having 4 RGB fans, 1 regular fan, 2 led stripes

PC parts:
ASRock X570 PHANTOM GAMING 4
Ballistix Ballistix Sport LT, DDR4, 16 GB (2x8 GB),3200MHz, CL16
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER Gaming OC 6GB GDDR6
Toshiba P300 1 TB 3.5" SATA III
AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 3.4GHz, 16 MB
SilentiumPC Supremo M2 Gold 550W
SSD ADATA XPG Spectrix S40G 512 GB M.2 2280 PCI-E x4 Gen3 NVMe
Bitfenix enso mesh chassis

Monitor BenQ PD2700Q on HDMI cable

that's what I was kinda the most afraid of.. Seeing nothing out of ordinary while something is wrong :c
Have you tried looking in Windows Event Viewer for any errors or warnings. It will not give you a definite answer, but it may be useful.

Jun 14, 2020
So like.. I know my PC for example crashed on that moment. (actually at around 20:19-20:20) Everything froze then had a bluescreen. then SSD Was obviously not detected in BIOS (as this is a reason of sudden crashes)

There was no logs before that, first log at 20:21 upon crash was "The operating system started at system time ‎2020‎-‎06‎-‎11T18:21:34.500000000Z." , then "The last shutdown's success status was false. The last boot's success status was true." Then a few errors (I listed them in a screenshot).
It doesn't say anything specific imo :c

unknown.png

So like.. I know my PC for example crashed on that moment. (actually at around 20:19-20:20) Everything froze then had a bluescreen. then SSD Was obviously not detected in BIOS (as this is a reason of sudden crashes)

There was no logs before that, first log at 20:21 upon crash was "The operating system started at system time ‎2020‎-‎06‎-‎11T18:21:34.500000000Z." , then "The last shutdown's success status was false. The last boot's success status was true." Then a few errors (I listed them in a screenshot).
It doesn't say anything specific imo :c

unknown.png
Sorry i can't help you with these Event Viewer records, to me they don't appear to say anything more than your computer crashed. Other members in the forum may have a better understanding. The link below, "Windows Reliability Monitor" may be a more helpful tool for you to use.

Jun 14, 2020
Because this is pretty much everything those tools tell me. The critical event goes under Miscellaneous failures and there's no information about it's cause. If there are warnings that's unrelated to the crash or about different time of day/app

unknown.png

Status
Not open for further replies.