[SOLVED] M.2 SSD upgrade not sure which can be installed in a Key M(PCIe Gen3 x4/SATA) slot

May 5, 2020
Motherboard: Z170A PC MATE
Hard Drive: TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB 7200 RPM

Im looking to add more Storage to my PC, i thought about adding an SSD as my System drive, and maybe adding some games to it that take ages to load.
And turn my current Hard Drive into a game library

I heard some say that as long as i have a M key on my M.2 slot, i can install an NVMe SSD and it be fine.
I was recommended a "Crucial P1 1TB SSD" Its Capacity and Price seem legit to me (120 Euro)
(Id only use it as a Boot Drive, for Game Launchers(Like Battle.Net-Steam) Have some games on it and some Screen Recordings, like from ShadowPlay)

However i am not sure of that, after looking at some M.2 SSDs i found that some say that they have a "PCIe Gen3 x4" Connector, and others "PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4"
And my Motherboard has a "PCIe Gen3 x4"
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z170A-PC-MATE/Specification
Can a SSD with a "PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4" connector, be connected into a "PCIe Gen3 x4" one?

And if not, what M.2 Drive should/could i to get
Or should i just get a 2.5 SATA SSD

Solution
They are compatible, NVMe is the mode, yet the technology. so if you're slot in the MB is PCIe 3.0 x4 Sata 3, it will run on SATA mode instead of NVMe, and vice versa.
May 5, 2020
They are compatible, NVMe is the mode, yet the technology. so if you're slot in the MB is PCIe 3.0 x4 Sata 3, it will run on SATA mode instead of NVMe, and vice versa.
" yet the technology" Imma guess u ment to say "Not the technology"

And so, the NVMe means that its the method of Communication so to say.
So, i can connect it, and it will work just fine. It will run as well as it says in its Spec Sheet.
And it wont be like, slower that usual.

May 5, 2020
Yes NVMe is the Technology, yet the interface use the NVMe speed if its compatible, if it isnt then it will work just fine
Also am i getting this right?

the NVMe part on the Drive
Means that it can use that Protocol, same with how HDDs use the AHCI one
And the PCIe gen 3 x4 is just the physical connector
The connector itself, has noting with an SSD being able to use the NVMe thingy