Question M.2 SSD via PCIe to m.2 adapter on AsRock z77 Extreme 4 together with a GPU on another PCIe3.0 slot?

RoyRoy12

Honorable
Apr 12, 2014
Hi, before I buy the M.2 drive I would like to know if this setup I came up will cause an Issue for me. I have searched similar threads and I am a bit confused about PCIe3.0 lanes. On some boards they are connected to a dedicated PCIe chipset and some to CPU? And if they are connected to CPU running a PCIe3.0 GPU and a m.2 on another PCIe3.0 slot might cause lagging, or even issues with GPU detection and resolution changes on startup. Additionally this revolves around what m.2 slot the SSD uses, and the 'straight M.2 slot might cause this issue where m.2x2 or m.2x4 might not. None, the adapter nor the SSD i'm looking at give any info on which m.2 slot is being used/available.

Here is the hardware I'm looking at:
AsRock z77 Extreme4 with slots- 2 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 slots (PCIE2/PCIE3: single at x16 (PCIE2) / x8 (PCIE3) or dual at x8/x8 mode)
GTX 970 - on the bottom (PCIe3.0 number3) slot - this is the highly preferred slot for this card due to heat/other cards
M.2 SSD ADATA XPG SX8200 960GB
QNINE Dual M.2 PCIe Adapter - on the PCIe3.0 number2 slot

this will result in both PCIe slots running at 8x, and AFAIK there is marginal if any difference in performance for the gtx 970 GPU. But what I am worried about is that some people reported some 'lagging' when using M.2 SSD on a 'straight M.2' slot (one connected to CPU). Anyone can tell which one is that, if any? I'm afraid that both of those are connected to CPU, hence my question. Anyone using one of those PCIe to m.2 adapters in similar config?

Any help would be much appreciated.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS