Question M.2 SSD won’t launch Windows ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 20, 2022
Hardware:
Motherboard: ASRock z590 extreme
CPU: Intel i7-11700K
Old windows storage: WD Blue 500 GB
New/Desired Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
BIOS Mode: UEFI

I have installed the m.2 drive in the "Hyper" m.2 slot which has gen 4 enabled. When in a windows in the old SSD, I can see everything about the 980 pro and can copy and paste files freely. I was hoping to clone the drive but apparently there is an issue with 512 vs 4096 sector sizes that will not allow this option.

So, I updated my windows install usb-c drive with a modern version of windows to install to the NVME. I unplug all other drives leaving only the usb-c and NVME connected. I seemingly successfully installed windows to the NVME and when I plug the old SSD back in, viewing the NVME in file explorer suggest success as well.

However, when I go into the UEFI, the 980 pro is not listed as an option in my boot priority. I do not see any option in the UEFI/BIOS (I assume these are the same thing) to actually adjust m.2 slot settings or change storage settings (there are folders related to NVME and storage but they only provide information and do not actually contain settings). I have done an internet flash for the board and it matches the most up to date bios version listed on ASRock's website. Now I have gone back to google and various forums searching for various solutions to this problem and the only UEFI setting that actually seems to have changed anything on this board is adjusting CSM settings and changing all options to off (which opens it to legacy and default options, I have also tried variations of legacy only, default, off).

FINALLY, I see the 980 Pro listed in my boot priority (but I also notice the icon for it seems to be an HDD but i dismiss this). I save settings and select the 980 pro as my boot option. Restart the computer and get a message "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."

After playing around in google and talking to some of my smarter friends, they suggest that my windows partition on the NVME might need to be FAT32 rather than NFTS. Command prompt does not allow me to change the windows partition to FAT32 because the partition is larger than 32gb. New problem, windows wont let me install on a partition smaller than 32gb even though install space is actually around 10-15gb.

I am running out of ideas and running out of things to google. A number of options listed online do not have a 1:1 option on my UEFI. Any help is beyond appreciated.

Feb 20, 2022
Worked successfully.
Reboot your pc and you should have option now to launch windows from both drives (like image in post #17).

More fun: View: https://imgur.com/a/MdobUHK

So, I have the CSM disabled by default because I feel like if everything is functioning correctly, this should be disabled. When disabled, this changed nothing and 980 Pro is still not in Boot Priority.

With CSM enabled, once again, 980 Pro moved to boot priority as an option. Tried launching directly to the 980 Pro the first time (I think that was selected) and I got the "Device needs repaired." Clicked F9 to select a different operating system. Screen flashes at me but stays on the menu. Click on it again and finally it opens up the screen with Volumes 13 & 4. I click on 13, assuming this to be the newest volume and likely the one on the NVME. System shuts down and restarts but fails to go to Windows. Screen looks like a giant Command Prompt with no text, only an _ that moves from line 1 to line 2 and stays there.

Restart the computer and click on volume 4 and it loads right into Windows. Going to attempt the "bcdboot F:\windows /f UEFI" now and will edit this after.
-Did not resolve the issue.

P.S. Welcome to page 2!

Last edited:
Going to attempt the "bcdboot F:\windows /f UEFI" now and will edit this after.
This will not work, syntax is incorrect.
bcdboot F:\windows /f UEFI

/f switch requires /s switch also.
You'd have to do it this way:
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 2
(select 99MB EFI system partition)​
assign letter=G
exit
bcdboot f:\windows /s G: /f UEFI

Feb 20, 2022
This will not work, syntax is incorrect.
bcdboot F:\windows /f UEFI

/f switch requires /s switch also.
You'd have to do it this way:
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 2
(select 99MB EFI system partition)​
assign letter=G
exit
bcdboot f:\windows /s G: /f UEFI

No dice. I assume this 99MB partition should have been on my C: drive? I checked both the C: and F: drives and C: was the only one with a 99MB partition. I get a Windows needs repair with CSM both on and off. Selecting volume 13 fails to launch, volume 4 still gets into windows. When I unplug the SSD I still get "please insert a proper boot drive" or whatever message that is. Should I start a support ticket (or try and call) with Windows/Microsoft too?

Also, unsure if I am supposed to have a G:, but my 99MB isn't a G:
View: https://imgur.com/a/8B6oe7u

**second edit, saw a suggestion to check partition letters in Macrium. 99mb partition is G in Macrium (second image if you click into the Imgur).

Getting a little burnt out on what should have been a very simple process. I've heard very mixed reviews on Windows 11, but should I try giving that an install and see if I have any more luck? Asking out of some desperation.

Last edited:
Selecting volume 13 fails to launch, volume 4 still gets into windows. When I unplug the SSD I still get "please insert a proper boot drive" or whatever message that is. Should I start a support ticket (or try and call) with Windows/Microsoft too?
Make sure, secure boot is disabled.

BTW - partition F: contains only 9GB of files. What version of windows did you install there? 9GB seems too little for full windows 10 install.

Feb 20, 2022
Make sure, secure boot is disabled.

BTW - partition F: contains only 9GB of files. What version of windows did you install there? 9GB seems too little for full windows 10 install.

Windows 10 Pro, USB was created used the windows media creation tool. I'll double check secure boot but I'm fairly confident it is disabled. Confirmed that secure boot is disabled.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022
Even if that were the case, I'm pretty sure windows 10 takes around 27-30 GB of storage, you could try making a larger partition and reinstall windows
Or are you saying that 9GB partition holds the installer of windows 10?
Windows requires a ~32gb+ partition to allow room for future updates. This prevents a computer from breaking itself mid updates. The actual space consumed by a Windows install is 9-10gb.

https://www.shareus.com/windows/how-much-hard-drive-space-does-windows-10-take-up.html

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Windows requires a ~32gb+ partition to allow room for future updates. This prevents a computer from breaking itself mid updates. The actual space consumed by a Windows install is 9-10gb.

https://www.shareus.com/windows/how-much-hard-drive-space-does-windows-10-take-up.html
The image on the site you linked itself shows 15 GB of storage space in the last paragraph of point 1 itself, plus that SSD you're getting is 1Tb in size, what do you want to do by cutting down the place where the OS spreads it's legs?

I have win 11 and it's system files itself are 18.2 GB in size, along with 5.11 GB of reserved storage that can't be taken away anyhow, it makes 23.3 GB in itself, I'd really recommend giving the partition a bit of breathing room, atleast 32 GB....

Feb 20, 2022
Oh wait, i misunderstood, i meant to say you should try reinstalling windows, because i don't think that storage is actually enough for the whole of windows.
I've tried installing windows on the NVME probably 15 times now. Reformatting it between attempts. I have tried giving it 32gb, 40gb,100gb partitions and now I don't even both setting up a specific windows partition and just push it onto the full 1tb drive partition. 32gb is the minimum and I've never installed on a partition smaller than that.

Every single time I install windows, its 9gb. I have tried the media creation tool and the straight iso file package with the same results. Another article that supports this: https://turbogadgetreviews.com/how-much-space-does-windows-10-take-up/ --Article states that windows previously required a 16gb partition and 7 was specifically reserved for updates (leaving a 9gb install).

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Article states that windows previously required a 16gb partition and 7 was specifically reserved for updates (leaving a 9gb install).
That 16 GB is for the 32 bit version of windows, i think, upon reading this part:-

"we’re talking 16 GB for 32-bit, and 20 GB for 64-bit systems."

I'm thinking you're trying to install the 64 bit version, right?

If yes, then i can't really think of what you might be doing that's limiting the SSD.

Feb 20, 2022
That 16 GB is for the 32 bit version of windows, i think, upon reading this part:-

"we’re talking 16 GB for 32-bit, and 20 GB for 64-bit systems."

I'm thinking you're trying to install the 64 bit version, right?

If yes, then i can't really think of what you might be doing that's limiting the SSD.
I know for a fact that the iso install package was 64 bit, cannot remember of the media creation tool has a menu listed. No matter the case, even if it was the 32-bit option, it should still launch. The bit version would just impact certain programs compatibility with the OS.

Question to all: could this be a defective product? Should I try returning this to Amazon and ask for a replacement?

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Question to all: could this be a defective product? Should I try returning this to Amazon and ask for a replacement?
I think you should contact Samsung for sure, i mean, since the SSD isn't even being detected by Samsung magician itself, it could be some malfunction, software-wise or hardware-wise.

Atleast they can guide you if they have a solution to it, unlike inexperienced people like me.

Feb 20, 2022
Update: called Samsung for the third time now and explained what was going on. Finally got them to actually give me help over the phone and the guy sent me a form to fill out and they will likely take it in for RMA.

Reactions: Aeacus

TRENDING THREADS