[SOLVED] M.2 SSD won't show up in BIOS (incompatible?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IO_OI

Honorable
Apr 17, 2015
I have been trying to install a Samsung 860 EVO Sata M.2 2TB SSD to my ASRock B365M Pro4-F Motherboard. It is not showing up in the BIOS.

Looking around the internet I found some things to try:
"In BIOS, go to Advanced settings, then go to Onboard Devices Configuration. Look for the PCI Express X4_3 Slot Bandwidth section and set the option to “M.2 Mode“." -My BIOS didn't have anything like "M.2 mode", in any of the settings.
"Update the BIOS" - The manufacturer has not released an updated bios for this motherboard.
"Re-install, clear cmos etc." - I've done this, to no avail.

I'm stating to think that either the SSD isn't compatible with the motherboard, or the SSD is faulty. Any other ideas on how to troubleshoot would be great, or if you can point me to something that definitively shows if the SSD is/is not compatible that would also be appreciated. I don't have another system to check if the SSD is faulty, however, I bought it new from a reputable dealer so I think the chances of that is low.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Solution
The M.2 socket in your motherboard does not support Sata SSD's, only NVMe.

- 1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s)

IO_OI

Honorable
Apr 17, 2015
The M.2 socket in your motherboard does not support Sata SSD's, only NVMe.

- 1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s)

Ah as I feared. Well this is why you should do your homework before you buy I guess haha. Thanks.

For anyone else reading, this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJCHx7mZEKo
explains the difference between Sata M.2 and NVMe M.2.

markballew

Reputable
Dec 14, 2017
I'm having same issue for BT360-BTC PRO, I have M.2 NVME, V-NAND SSD 970 EVO Plus 256GB. Bios does not recognize NVMe slot, tried to different NVMe cards, one with Hiveos and one with Windows 10, nothing recognized in NVMe slot.

I'm having same issue for BT360-BTC PRO, I have M.2 NVME, V-NAND SSD 970 EVO Plus 256GB. Bios does not recognize NVMe slot, tried to different NVMe cards, one with Hiveos and one with Windows 10, nothing recognized in NVMe slot.
Your motherboard is the opposite of the original post. The M.2 socket in the Biostar TB360-BTC PRO only supports SATA drives, not NVME.

1 x M.2 (M Key) Connector(6Gb/s): Support SATA SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS