[SOLVED] M.2 standoff nut broken off of motherboard, am I screwed?

Nov 13, 2020
I recently bought another NVMe SSD to add to my second slot. However, when I added the standoff to the nut in the slot, the nut itself that connects to the motherboard came right out. It doesn't appear that the nut screws in or anything, and it won't stay in place outside of gravity.

Is this M.2 slot just unusable now, or is there some way I can get the nut back in place in order to get the standoff in?

Solution
I recently bought another NVMe SSD to add to my second slot. However, when I added the standoff to the nut in the slot, the nut itself that connects to the motherboard came right out. It doesn't appear that the nut screws in or anything, and it won't stay in place outside of gravity.

Is this M.2 slot just unusable now, or is there some way I can get the nut back in place in order to get the standoff in?
Are you sure the threaded insert is completely missing in the motherboard?

Get access to the backside of motherboard and then put a small nut on the threaded part of standoff that comes through the board.

Also put a drop of epoxy on/in the hole and put the standoff in that and let cure; a piece of tape over the hole in back...

Are you sure the threaded insert is completely missing in the motherboard?

Get access to the backside of motherboard and then put a small nut on the threaded part of standoff that comes through the board.

Also put a drop of epoxy on/in the hole and put the standoff in that and let cure; a piece of tape over the hole in back will keep the epoxy from dripping through.

There are other possible jury rig fixes...even just taping it down over a piece of ESD safe foam.

Last edited:
Solution