Question M.2 suddenly stopped working

Oct 14, 2021
A couple months I built a new pc:
Windows 11
Ryzen 7 5800x
3080ti
Msi mag x570 tomahawk
Xpg gammix s70 blade

I also have my drives from my old pc which I moved over into my new pc and my copied my windows 10 os to my m.2 drive and then updated it to windows 11.

At first theres was a couple times where it didnt load into windows but after a restart it loaded up fine. But now after about 2 months my pc just refused to load into windows when I first start it and load into the bios it shows the drive but once I restart it or exit the bios the drive no longer shows up, it's the same for windows nothing shows up at all in disk manager.

I updated my mb bios and nothing changed. Even after swapping the m.2 slots in my motherboard still it doesnt boot.

Anyone know why this is?

Reactions: StarrTouch

Lutfij

Titan
By copied did you clone the OS? What app did you use to clone the prior OS installation? BIOS version for your motherboard? As for your OS, why didn't you recreate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools and start from scratch? Which M.2 slot is the NVMe drive populating on the motherboard?

Make and model of your PSU in the build?

Oct 14, 2021
By copied did you clone the OS? What app did you use to clone the prior OS installation? BIOS version for your motherboard? As for your OS, why didn't you recreate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools and start from scratch? Which M.2 slot is the NVMe drive populating on the motherboard?

Make and model of your PSU in the build?
I used aomei backupper to clone the drive, I didnt want to start from scratch downloading everything and to be honest I didnt think about backing it up so i just cloned it. I have a gigabyte 850m 80+ fully modular gold rated psu and my mb is the latest version it is a beta version as it is the only one that stated that it supported windows 11, the drive occupies the top m.2 slot.

Oct 14, 2021
This clone worked fine for a couple of months and the problems developed only recently?

Have you tested the drive in any other M.2 port?

Does the problem persist if all other drives are disconnected?
Yes I have swapped drives and all of that.
This did happened a couple of times when I first built it but then I just restart my PC and it worked fine since then it's been a couple months and no problems. However when I first built the PC it never detected the drive even before I copied my drive to make my PC register it I had to change it from uefi to csm but know even that doesnt work

Is Windows fully updated? I know jack squat about Windows 11, but hear some complaints.....none related to your issue as far as I know.

Have you googled for issues regarding your specific brand and model M.2 and motherboard?

Have you checked for newer drivers?

Any bangs in Device Manager?

Any possibility of bad cables or cables that intermittently disconnect?

I don't like the fact that you had the problem a couple of times right after you built it.

Can you go back to earlier versions of Windows 11, possibly through System Restore?

It may be that the drive itself is the problem......not the ports, not Windows, not the motherboard.

That would be tough to troubleshoot.

I'm guessing you are beyond the date you can return the drive directly to the vendor and you would have to deal with the M.2 manufacturer under warranty.

That could be a big pain.

Would that be a bigger pain than a clean Windows install on the M.2, maybe of Windows 10 or maybe Windows 11?

Bad situation to be in.

Oct 14, 2021
Is Windows fully updated? I know jack squat about Windows 11, but hear some complaints.....none related to your issue as far as I know.

Have you googled for issues regarding your specific brand and model M.2 and motherboard?

Have you checked for newer drivers?

Any bangs in Device Manager?

Any possibility of bad cables or cables that intermittently disconnect?

I don't like the fact that you had the problem a couple of times right after you built it.

Can you go back to earlier versions of Windows 11, possibly through System Restore?

It may be that the drive itself is the problem......not the ports, not Windows, not the motherboard.

That would be tough to troubleshoot.

I'm guessing you are beyond the date you can return the drive directly to the vendor and you would have to deal with the M.2 manufacturer under warranty.

That could be a big pain.

Would that be a bigger pain than a clean Windows install on the M.2, maybe of Windows 10 or maybe Windows 11?

Bad situation to be in.
I honestly have no idea if windows is fully updated because I have no idea how to check it, and I cant do a system restore as windows doesnt recognize the drive even if I do a try to do a full new install of windows 11 it just doesn't show up as a drive. I have tried to wipe the drive in bios when ever it shows up but it just says failed. I have tried contacting the manufacturer they just to download the software but that didnt recognise the drive either. So I honestly have no idea on what else to do. I dont think it will be a bad cable because I installed windows on a different sata drive 2.5" and it works fine just doesnt detect the m.2 drive. Only on a full boot of the pc but I have to go into bios as soon as I load into windows the drive just no longer exist.

Do you still have the drive from which you cloned Win 10 from the old drive to the M.2?

If that drive is still intact and boots OK with Win 10, I am wondering if you can do another transfer of Win 10 to the M.2..............possibly with something other than Aomei or possibly via imaging not cloning?

I'm grasping at straws.

Are you unwilling to stay on Windows 10 if you can ever get the M.2 working OK?

Oct 14, 2021
Do you still have the drive from which you cloned Win 10 from the old drive to the M.2?

If that drive is still intact and boots OK with Win 10, I am wondering if you can do another transfer of Win 10 to the M.2..............possibly with something other than Aomei or possibly via imaging not cloning?

I'm grasping at straws.

Are you unwilling to stay on Windows 10 if you can ever get the M.2 working OK?
If I can get it working then I'm perfectly ok with windows 10 the problem is no matter what I do the drive doesnt show up outside of bios after full power down and power on once it loads into windows nothing shows up it acts like theres nothing in the m.2 slot.

I'm not familiar with using M.2 drives as a boot drive. My only experience is for data drives.

It is possible your BIOS has some control setting that is required to boot from an M.2. Have you fished around in there?

I would trial and error every BIOS setting related to booting that I saw as long as you can easily return the BIOS to defaults.

You should at least try setting the BIOS to defaults anyway. Maybe that will change something?

If you still have the old drive with Windows 10, I would at least try another clone or imaging attempt, probably with something other than Aomei.

That's about the end of my straw-grasping, unless you can put that M.2 in some other PC and see if it boots there.

Oct 14, 2021
I'm not familiar with using M.2 drives as a boot drive. My only experience is for data drives.

It is possible your BIOS has some control setting that is required to boot from an M.2. Have you fished around in there?

I would trial and error every BIOS setting related to booting that I saw as long as you can easily return the BIOS to defaults.

You should at least try setting the BIOS to defaults anyway. Maybe that will change something?

If you still have the old drive with Windows 10, I would at least try another clone or imaging attempt, probably with something other than Aomei.

That's about the end of my straw-grasping, unless you can put that M.2 in some other PC and see if it boots there.
Yh I'm probably gonna try an reset it and see what happens because I've tried every bios settings I cant think off and researched.

Dec 31, 2021
A couple months I built a new pc:
Windows 11
Ryzen 7 5800x
3080ti
Msi mag x570 tomahawk
Xpg gammix s70 blade

I also have my drives from my old pc which I moved over into my new pc and my copied my windows 10 os to my m.2 drive and then updated it to windows 11.

At first theres was a couple times where it didnt load into windows but after a restart it loaded up fine. But now after about 2 months my pc just refused to load into windows when I first start it and load into the bios it shows the drive but once I restart it or exit the bios the drive no longer shows up, it's the same for windows nothing shows up at all in disk manager.

I updated my mb bios and nothing changed. Even after swapping the m.2 slots in my motherboard still it doesnt boot.

Anyone know why this is?
I have the XOG PCIE gen 4 blade in the system and a wd blue gen 3. And I got windows 10 and 11 installed and stuff setup. then suddenly it stops booting. I have a feeling it has something to do with the VMD controller. The kicker is that once I finally get the bios to recognize the NVME drives again the windows installer fails to see the xpg and only sees the slower gen 3 NVME.
I may brave the snow storm tomorrow to got get a Samsung 980 from best buy and see if that works any better. I am building this to play star citizen and have a gen 4 6k-7k read time is ideal compared to 3k but I’m splitting hairs because I want the performance I paid for on my c: drive

Oct 14, 2021
I have the XOG PCIE gen 4 blade in the system and a wd blue gen 3. And I got windows 10 and 11 installed and stuff setup. then suddenly it stops booting. I have a feeling it has something to do with the VMD controller. The kicker is that once I finally get the bios to recognize the NVME drives again the windows installer fails to see the xpg and only sees the slower gen 3 NVME.
I may brave the snow storm tomorrow to got get a Samsung 980 from best buy and see if that works any better. I am building this to play star citizen and have a gen 4 6k-7k read time is ideal compared to 3k but I’m splitting hairs because I want the performance I paid for on my c: drive
Same the repair process is such a pain they saying they cant accept it for repairs due to covid and restrictions in Taiwan.