Question M.2 Support

Seasalter

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
Hi there! I'm on an old build running a Z75 pro 3 motherboard but am upgrading to a new build in a couple months. My PC is struggling with storage space so I want to buy more but I want to buy an m.2 that I can take full advantage of it on the new mobo.

I really need space right now. I was thinking of buying the Crucial P1 NVME m.2. Is there a connector I can run on the Z75 Pro 3 that'll allow me to use it now? I don't mind if it has diminished speeds because when I swap to the new system I'll be able to take advantage of it (buying gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro)

Thank you all for your help!

Lutfij

Titan
By taking advantage of thedrive on the board, are you referring to using the M.2 drive as a boot drive? If so, you should forgo that idea while on the Z75 chipset. Your best option would be to increase the size of each drive connected off of each native SATA port.

Also, by the time you do get around to buying the board, the cost of SSD's will have dropped further, with a newer lineup and lower power draw(not to mention a better controller and bandwidth). In short, you're just dropping money on something you could buy much later or invest on a newer platform.

Seasalter

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
I really appreciate the advice!

What I meant by "take advantage" was - take advantage on the new board - not the current one. I don't need the m.2 to be my boot drive RIGHT NOW. Currently my system is booting from an ssd.

All I want is to be able to use the m.2 now and i'm trying to figure how to do that. When I switch to the new board I'll be able to take full advantage of it.

As far as the price goes, i'm not worried about that or new lines ups with better performance. It's not going to be an expensive build.

All I'm asking is: Is there a way for me to run the m.2 on my current motherboard using an adapter, if so how?