Question M.2 type M to PCIe2 on HP Z400 Zeon workstation

Jun 18, 2019
I am looking to install an internal NVMe ssd in the above workstation (HP Z400 Zeon) and have a few questions:

Will it work at all?

Do I need an M2 to PCIe adapter card?

I have 4 PCIe slots labeled as follows:

Two PCIe2 x8 (4)
Two PCIe2 x16

One of each type is available. Which is the best one to use?

Looking to keep price around $100 for 1 TB not really worried about life expectancy or absolute speed. It will be used for some light video editing of 4 to 8 GB files.

Should I move the operating system (Windows 10) to the ssd or leave it on the HD?

I am looking at the following Drives:

ADATA XPG Sx6000 Lite M.2 2280 1tb PCIe NVMe Gen3x4 Internal Solid State Drive SSD $99 on Ebay

Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 3D2, QLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPEKNW010T8X1 $88 on NewEgg

Well, I would recommend moving the os to the SSD for a faster experience, however an NVME wont work with this.
Would you be open to buying a fast SATA SSD? They will perform similarly in a machine of this age.
I would recommend a Crucial MX500.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019
My understanding is that PCIe3 is backward compatible with PCIe2. I was hoping for a little better performance using the PCIe interface, as opposed to the SATA

It is backwards compatable, but the nvme performance is reduced. Your OS cant be move to an nvme drive, so your still stuck with a your hdd.

A sata ssd us just a better option as performance will be simmilar and cost is less.

If you have a sata SSD you can boot windows from the drive making the pc snappier than the hard drive your stuck with if you go nvme.

Jun 18, 2019
Update........the SATA SSD is working fine as expected. But.......the operating system can't find the 250GB Intel Pro NVMe. The adapter board has an led lit up, I guess that means it's getting power. There are updated bios available, but they don''t mention Storage controller updates.

Here are links to what I'm experimenting with.

256GB Intel PRO NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD Solid State Drive SSDPEKKF256G 250GB TLC

JEYI SK4 M.2 NVMe(M Key) SSD to PCI-E 3.0 x4 Adapter Converter Card

The HPZ400 only has PCIe 2.0 slots available, but I believe the hardware should be backwards compatible.

total investment is only around $50, but I would at least like to know if the 256MB ssd is working.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Jun 18, 2019
Another noble experiment that may have failed. Other users seem to have been able to get SSDx working through the PCIe 2,0 slots on the Z400. I may have to buy an NVMe to USB 3.0 or NVMe to Sata converter to be able to use the SSD