[SOLVED] M.2 write becomes extremely slow

flarenial

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
I'm using Tm8PS7128G m.2 drive (120gb) as my boot and small/extra storage. When I start to write files to it, it will start extremely fast, around 1gb/s and then it will slow to a crawl, sometimes under 1mb/s and then will have a waving pattern peaking at around 70mb/s and down to about 10mb/s

Now after studying it for a moment, this pattern of increased and decreased performance, seems like what you would expect from a part thermal throttling. I have no way to check the temperature, hwmonitor won't show it.

I can pause or cancel the file copy, wait a few moments, and when I resume it will start fast again, and then crawl back down to 10 or less mb/s

So, is this a bad part, or is it maybe a temperature problem?

(I'm reluctant to call it a temperature problem as I have pretty good airflow and it's cool inside the case- cpu idling at 27c and gpu idling at 28c)

Last edited:
Solution
Thermal throttling is a possibility. There is also the possibility that you run through the SLC cache pretty quickly since the SSD is such a small size and that will tank the performance. The 3rd possibility is that you are hitting the garbage collection where cells are being over written, this too will kill performance.
Thermal throttling is a possibility. There is also the possibility that you run through the SLC cache pretty quickly since the SSD is such a small size and that will tank the performance. The 3rd possibility is that you are hitting the garbage collection where cells are being over written, this too will kill performance.

Solution

flarenial

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
Thank you very much. If I forced a re-trim, would that make a difference if it was running into the garbage collection?

By the way for what it's worth, I have 80gb free of the 120

Last edited: