Question M.2 write protected

street0123

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
I have a 240GB M2 drive that was originally formatted MBR and I want to clear it and install Win 10 and use it as my boot disk. I have a 1TB WD HDD I can store all my stuff on. I removed everything but the M.2 drive and tried to install Win 10 from USB but got errors because the M.2 was formatted MBR. I tried several times to use Diskpart to clean the drive clear the attributes or format the drive to no avail. I removed the M.2 drive and installed Win 10 on the WD 1TB HDD but it is so very slow compared to my sons computer which is running a 1TB Samsung M.2 drive only. I have purchased a new 1TB M.2 drive (ADATA) so I can dump the slow HDD but I'd like to know I can recover and use the 240GB M.2 drive as well. The tool box programs from MyDigital and ADATA both test the 240GB and report that it is in great shape but I can't do anything with it while it is write protected!!!

ktriebol

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
Boot up with Windows 10 on your HDD, while also having your 240GB M.2 drive installed. Then go into Windows Disk Management and convert your 240GB M.2 drive to GPT. Then, for good measure, format your 240GB M.2 drive. Then shut down and remove your HDD. Then install Windows 10 on your 240GB M.2 drive using that USB drive that you mentioned. You will have to change your boot order to install Windows 10, but I assume you already knew that. That should work.