Question M.2_2 storage drive keeps disappearing

PuzzledToo

Reputable
May 14, 2020
I have an ASRock B365M Pro4 motherboard with a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 NVME for the OS & programs.

I installed an EVO Plus 1TB in the M.2_2 slot to use as D: storage drive.

Initially it worked & I was able to copy a few files to it from an EHD, but the next day I could not copy to it and kept getting Error 0x800701B1. I tried different USB ports & another EHD but to no avail.

I rebooted the PC and the D: drive no longer showed up anywhere, including in disk management.

The next day I re-seated the M.2_2 memory & when the PC powered up a message came up saying it was fixing a problem. It took only a few seconds & the D: drive then appeared. Everything worked & I copied some more folders to the drive.

The next day (today) when I turned on the PC the D: drive was not there again.

I didn’t make any changes & rebooted the PC & a message came up saying something about a stop problem & I should make a note of the error code. It also said it was repairing a problem. This caught me off guard & came & went so quickly I wasn’t able to read the whole message let alone write down an error code.

But everything is acting normal & the files I previously copied to the D: drive are still there. Bios does show both M.2 slots have the Samsung drives.

Any idea why the M.2 D: drive disappears for no apparent reason? Defective drive or mobo?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
You're working with the 970 Evo plus for both M.2's? What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Which slots are you populating on your motherboard with the M.2 drives? Provided your chipset drivers are installed and up to date, might want to use the NVMe driver for your SSD and see if that helps(assuming you don't have another Evo Plus version). You can conversely use Samsung's Magician App to see if the drive is recognized there.

Make and model of your PSU? What OS version(not edition) are you currently on assuming you're on Windows 10?

PuzzledToo

Reputable
May 14, 2020
A 500GB 970 Evo plus in the M.2_1 slot for the OS & programs and a 1TB 970 Evo plus in the M.2_2 slot for storage.

Bios vers P4.20.
Device Manager says the disk drives drivers are up to date.

Chipset driver ver:10.1.17968.8131, which is also the latest on the ASRock website.

Both drives are recognized in BIOS when the D: drive shows up in Explorer. I did not check BIOS when the D: was missing in Explorer. I’ll do that next time.

PSU is a Corsair CX430. There is no video card so that should be OK.

Windows 10 vers 20H2

FWIW I did have a 1TB WD spinner SATA HDD for storage & it always showed up. I got a good deal on the 1TB EVO+ and figured why not try it. The WD HDD is not in the PC & was removed before the second M.2 was installed.

PuzzledToo

Reputable
May 14, 2020
I should add -
The first time I got the error message the D: drive did show up in Explorer but as mentioned could not copy to it. But I was able to create a new folder.

Disk management at that time did show the D: drive, but it displayed 2 partitions. The normal 931.5GB and to the right was a 2MB partition which wasn’t there before. After the reboot & repair the 2MB partition no longer showed up. And that folder I had created was no longer on the D: drive.

Sep 28, 2021
Same Here i did everything even used the M.2 in another computter and it runs fine
i use Asus maximus Formula Z490 + 10900k tried everything cleared Bios Clean windows install well I use SLI and all my nvme slots is ocupied bit doenst seems to be that since i tried both Sata controlers AHCI ans Intel RST both my second M2 dissapears after sometimes or if i intall some gmae and start playin the ones installed on it I think thats must be a Bios related Problem !!