[SOLVED] M2 and SSD issues.

Aug 10, 2019
I built a new PC using a M2 SSD for Windows 10 and the rest of my downloads...But because i will need more storage and i don't want to reach the limits of the M2 i bought a new SSD (Crucial MX500).But it doesn't let me download anything to it.
For example: I downloaded Steam setup and it went to the M2 automatically and then if i choose the 2.5'' SSD for the setup it won't even let me choose it.
Of course i formatted it through Disk Management,i created a new folder on the SSD through Windows Properties (right clicking Downloads) etc...Nothing works.
I just want to keep everything i already have to the M2 and the rest of my downloads in the future to go to the SSD.
What am i suppose to do?

Solution
Actually, it does not need to go to a folder named
D:\ProgramFiles(x86)\....

The folder on the D drive can be called anything.

Additionally, the Steam client is tiny.
Leave that on the C drive, and install the games to the other drive(s)

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

What motherboard are you using? Check the motherboard's User Manual/Guide with regards to SATA connections and M.2 connectivity.

M.2 may be pre-empting the SATA port you are using for the SSD.

Reference:

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...on-a-mobo-it-disables-the-sata-ports.2532769/

Once both drives are visible and accessible then you just change the Windows 10 default download destination to the SSD.

Aug 10, 2019
M2: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB (80mm)
SSD 2.5'': Crucial MX500 1TB
Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro
Ryzen 5 2600X
MSI 1660Ti Gaming X
EVGA Supernova 550W G3
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

I checked the manuals and everything is ok.I connected the SSD to SATAIII 1.

Both M2 and SSD are visible and accessible.Please provide more details about this default setting.

popatim

Titan
If I understand correctly, you wish to install steam onto your new drive.

When installing Steam, you select where to install it on the 4th screen I believe.
Welcome, Accpet LiCense, Pick Language, Choose location. Select your drive here. I suggest just changing c:\ProgramFiles(x86)\... to D:\ProgramFiles(x86)\....

in other words, just change the C: to whatever letter you gave your new drive, leaving the rest as is. it will make it easier to follow other guides in the future that reference the default location. The steam library/download folder will be created here as well.

If you meant to install games to your new drive with Steam being on your C: drive, then make a 'Steam Games' folder on the new drive.
Launch Steam and go to Setting > Downloads > Steam Library > Add Library > and navigate/choose the new 'Steam Games' folder you made on the new drive.

Reactions: DNT23

USAFRet

Titan
Actually, it does not need to go to a folder named
D:\ProgramFiles(x86)\....

The folder on the D drive can be called anything.

Additionally, the Steam client is tiny.
Leave that on the C drive, and install the games to the other drive(s)

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

Reactions: DNT23
Solution
Aug 10, 2019
If I understand correctly, you wish to install steam onto your new drive.

When installing Steam, you select where to install it on the 4th screen I believe.
Welcome, Accpet LiCense, Pick Language, Choose location. Select your drive here. I suggest just changing c:\ProgramFiles(x86)\... to D:\ProgramFiles(x86)\....

in other words, just change the C: to whatever letter you gave your new drive, leaving the rest as is. it will make it easier to follow other guides in the future that reference the default location. The steam library/download folder will be created here as well.

If you meant to install games to your new drive with Steam being on your C: drive, then make a 'Steam Games' folder on the new drive.
Launch Steam and go to Setting > Downloads > Steam Library > Add Library > and navigate/choose the new 'Steam Games' folder you made on the new drive.
I did that when "Choose Location" section appeared and a yellow exclamation mark without words next to it popped up.