Question M2 drive installed AHCI, HDD installed in RAID - attempting to access both drives

legion_bre

Reputable
Jun 26, 2016
I have an SSD M2 drive with OS installed which was installed on a Asus Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard in AHCI mode.
There are 4x 3Tb HDD installed in Raid mode - RAID0 configuration.

When booting, default is AHCI mode which loads Windows fine but without the RAID drive appearing.
If you restart, select AHCI->RAID then the M2 drive no longer appears as a boot option and cannot load Windows
If I then convert back RAID->AHCI and boot then the M2 drive is bootable and the RAID drive appears.

This has been working until around the windows update. Now suddenly the RAID drives work at ~1% of the speed taking 15-20min to transfer 1Gb where as before that would take 15seconds. At this stage I have an external 6Tb and 4Tb drive and I just want to extract the data and consider reinstalling drives in AHCI for compatibility with the M2.

Any ideas on how to do this or why this is happening?

legion_bre

Reputable
Jun 26, 2016
First thing i would do is uninstall those updates. This should restore your raid performance and make the offload much easier.
If the data on the drives is valuable then it should already have a second copy on external media.
Sadly the option to revert to previous version of Windows 10 is not available because it was completed >10 days ago.
Telling someone after the fact that they should have made a copy doesn't really help the situation. It's like a doctor telling someone who had a heart attack they should have done more exercise rather than treating them - its a bit late for that.

popatim

Titan
The comment was meant to be advice for you going forward. I did not mean it to upset you. I see your point and will add "Please look into a backup going forward." and hopefully not come off so rude.

Still you should be able to uninstall those updates in normal or even safe mode if needed. It sounds like you were trying to revert to a restore point.