m2 genie error

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjm112694

Prominent
Aug 27, 2018
Need help, I was looking to update my hard drive to an SSD and do a clean install of windows the problem is that after I disconnected the hard drive and attempted to restart I got a black screen with "m2 Genie error" with the only option being to go into the bios without the option of booting into the usb stick with windows installer. I’m using a Samsung 860 EVO attached through a sat cable to an MSI z270 gaming pro Carbon motherboard and have not been able to get past booting up. After checking the BIOS, I discovered that ACHI mode had been changed to M2 raid mode, I attempted to switch back but every time I attempt to save changes and reboot It reverts back to M2 raid mode with the same error message appearing. I attempted to clear CMOS and have updated the BIOS to the Latest firmware, but the problem still persists. This appears to be an issue with users attempting to have an M.2 drive recognized but I have no such drive installed. Any help in this issue would be greatly appreciated.

bjm112694

Prominent
Aug 27, 2018
Thanks for the reply Calvin7, I was finally able to get in contact with MSI and after going through all the steps (including checking M.2 Genie was disabled) they concluded that for some reason my motherboard was just refusing to switch SATA mode over from RAID/Optane to AHCI. Apparently this was similar to some bug they had a few years ago but that it had been resolved with a BIOS update, since I already had the latest firmware they suggested flashing back a few generations to see if that fixed it. After flashing back 2 generations I got a message if I wished to clear M.2 Genie data pressed yes and my system was back in order. After that I simply updated the BIOS back to the latest firmware and everything seems to be back in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS