[SOLVED] M2 or SATA SSD with PCI sound card?

DA_Maz

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2012
Hi everyone,

I plan on buying an SSD for music production and image editing purposes beyond the typical OS/Browser purposes.

So here is my problem: For some reason my PCI-E gfx card produces sound artifacts on my PCI sound card when the GPU is under heavy load (some kind of bug/interference where i get small clicks for every frame generated; i.e.: the more fps the more clicks). I don't really care about this, since the game sound is louder anyway and if I use my PC for music production my gfx card isn't under load and I get no artifacts.

So can I expect to get these artifact-sounds with M2 SSDs (since they also use PCI-E) and should I stay away from them, because the SSD will be under load while I use music production software?

system:
AMD Ryzen 3 1200
ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS
2x Corsair Hynix 8GB DDR4-2998
Soundcard: M-Audio Delta AP192
gfxcard: HIS AMD Radeon HD 7790 1GB

ty for your help in advance

Solution
The sound issues is most likely electrical noise generated by the GPU (the heavier load the more noise) , this is why most people who go for high quality sound have moved away from internal sound cards to desktop DACs and AMPs as the inside of the computer case is very very electrically noisy.

Will a SSD produce the same noise, no probably not.

You can limit the noise to the sound card by moving it as far away from the GPU as possible if your mobo allows it.
The sound issues is most likely electrical noise generated by the GPU (the heavier load the more noise) , this is why most people who go for high quality sound have moved away from internal sound cards to desktop DACs and AMPs as the inside of the computer case is very very electrically noisy.

You can limit the noise to the sound card by moving it as far away from the GPU as possible if your mobo allows it.

Reactions: DA_Maz
Solution

DA_Maz

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2012

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes my next soundcard will be external, but for the time being my setup is adequat enough.

So your point is that the sound stems from powerusage by the GPU and not the information density running through PCI-E; In this case a 6W TDP Western Digital WD Black SN750 wouldn't be as probelamtic as my 85W TDP gfx card right?