M2 + SSD + HDD Combo? Recommendations

Arkanus

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Hello! I'm currently trying to decide between two storage configurations for the new PC I'll be building next month.

Which one of these would be better for a gaming/workstation (Photoshop, desktop recording and video) PC?

Option A-
-250GB M2 for OS
-500 GB SSD (which I already own) for prioritary games and data that requires fast loading.
-1TB WD Blue 7200 RPM for games and data storage

or

Option B-
-500GB SSD for OS (partitioned in 250GB for OS and 250GB for some data and games)
-2TB WD Black 7200 RPM for games and data storage.

I'm not sure if using an entire 250 GB M2 for the OS would be a wise idea, or if it would be good to use a SSD to store games and data.

On a side note, is the Western Digital Black a good, reliable hard drive? I keep reading A LOT of complains about its noise, which concerns me since I'm focusing on a silent PC.

Solution
Western Digital Black a good, reliable hard drive? YES
good to use a SSD to store games and data. NO not really only that games what you play every day so it can faster loading the game
i personally would and i am go with Option A for myself and i recommend you m2 if you wanna have faster system
WD BLUE is good too
mechanical hard drive are almost always gonna spin so yes you can hear them maybe little bit...
WD BLUE vs BLACK in sound? SAME thing

Power94

Reputable
Apr 23, 2016
Western Digital Black a good, reliable hard drive? YES
good to use a SSD to store games and data. NO not really only that games what you play every day so it can faster loading the game
i personally would and i am go with Option A for myself and i recommend you m2 if you wanna have faster system
WD BLUE is good too
mechanical hard drive are almost always gonna spin so yes you can hear them maybe little bit...
WD BLUE vs BLACK in sound? SAME thing

Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Just use the 500 GB drive for OS + "prioritary games and data that requires fast loading", HDD for everything else. As long as your current SSD is even half decent you won't see any meaningful difference with a M.2 SSD. Out of curiosity, what M.2 drive were you planning on getting?

Arkanus

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010

My current 500GB SSD is a Samsung 850 EVO.
About the M.2, I'm planning to get a Samsung 950 EVO (250 GB).