[SOLVED] m2 SSD not found any more after upgrading GPU?

Nov 23, 2020
I have 4 hard-drives, 3 of them are normal / 2.5" SSD (Samsung EVO 850).
And the last one is a m.2 (Samsung EVO 960), where boot and Windows is installed.

When I have my RTX 2080ti plugged in, everything works just fine.
However, when I swap the RTX 2080ti to a RTX 3090 card, the m.2 is no longer visible in the BIOS and I cannot boot to the Windows.
Why does that happen? If I swap back to RTX 2080ti, it works again. But not with the RTX 3090.
I have tried putting the RTX 3090 in the PCIe 8X slot instead, same problem. The m2 drive is no longer found.

I have tried disconnecting the 3 other SSD so only the m.2 is connected, but that made no changes.

Motherboard: RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 (latest bios too)
CPU: Intel Core i7-6950X
GPU: RTX 2080 T
RAM: 32GB
PSU: Corsair AX1200i

Solution
Try moving your boot drive.
It could be that that M.2 slot is disabled for some reason as the 3090 uses PCIe 4.0, and the board uses PCIe 3.0/2.0.
No idea really - but it's worth a shot!

Ralston18

Titan
Any LED's lit? Any beep code patterns?

Switch perhaps?

Does the following User Manual link apply to your motherboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/..._10/E11861_RAMPAGE_V_EDITION_10_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

(Verify that I correctly matched motherboard to manual.)

Maybe a switch.

Reference the User Manual to double check both the physical component installations and any associated configuration settings.

Start with physically numbered Page 1-12, Item, 7.

However, before actually doing anything I recommend reviewing the entire User Manual and making note of the necessary/applicable configuration settings. Both defaults and any that may have been changed.

Nov 23, 2020
No LEDs, no strange QCode or beeps. The system starts, but fails to boot because of no OS / boot drive.
The error I get is what you get with no boot driver, it just loops back to BIOS, and there is no m.2 drive to be seen.
As soon as i swap back to the 2080ti the motherboard sees the m.2 and it boots. But when the 3090 card is in, the m.2 is gone.

I have tried clearing CMOS, loading the default settings on the motherboard. It does not help.
I'm kinda confused and lost, how a new graphics card can make a m.2 drive stop working.

(Yes, you found the correct manual)

ragnarok0274

Proper
Sep 12, 2020
It could be that that M.2 slot is disabled for some reason as the 3090 uses PCIe 4.0, and the board uses PCIe 3.0/2.0.

Solution
Nov 23, 2020
I only have one m.2 slot on the motherboard. I does feel like the m.2 gets disabled when I plug in the 3090.