[SOLVED] M2 SSD's actual speed is a lot lower than test results

Sep 26, 2019
Hi, I have Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD. Its' speeds are advertised as 3500MB/s reading and 3200MB/s writing.

But when I try to copy or move files within my computer or between external drives, I see 100MB/s transfer speed at best.

Also, when I run tests through Samsung Magician or CrystalDiskMark; I get following results

QJDfDoQA_o.png

What can I do about it, or is it normal?
Thanks in advance!

Solution
This is absolutely normal.
Speed is dictated by the slowest device in the chain.

An external HDD, or the USB interface, or over your LAN...all much slower than that actual drive.

You can't read from or write to an HDD faster than that HDD can do, no matter what your SSD is capable of.

USAFRet

Titan

An external HDD, or the USB interface, or over your LAN...all much slower than that actual drive.

You can't read from or write to an HDD faster than that HDD can do, no matter what your SSD is capable of.

Solution
Sep 26, 2019

Thanks for the answer, I'm also curious about one more thing though. This slow transfer also occurs when I copy a file from my SSD directly into the same SSD. Like, even if I create a copy of a file in the same exacty directory; the copying progress is slow, ranging between 20-400MB/s, nowhere near 3000MB/s.

Is this also normal?