[SOLVED] M2 to Sata3 or PCIE?

Jan 25, 2020
We bought an M.2 SSD for my brother, only to find out that the mobo doesn't have an M.2 slot, so we are thinking of using an adapter, though we have questions about the speed limitations. Would the speed of M2 (Which is 2000/1100) be limited by the adapter or be limited by the Sata3 port itself? Another option is that we use a PCIE converter, what would you recommend us?
(SSD: Kingston 250 GB A2000 Series NvMe M.2 SSD)

Solution
Hi!
I want to use this drive as my windows drive and I also wanna transfer some games to it so that I have a better performance.
I want to use it on a desktop.
Gigabyte h77-ds3h is my motherboard
There is only an HDD on my system now
Booting from that drive in a PCIe adapter is questionable.
In addition, speed will be slow if the boot drive or just a secondary drive.
Lastly, as the OS drive (even if possible) you won't see major improvements over a standard 2.5" SATA III SSD. Which will absolutely work.
You can use pcie. Sata 3 will definitely reduce the speed to a normal sata 3 drive. Don’t believe you’ll be able to boot from the pcie adapter which pretty much defeats the purpose. Guess if he plans to update the motherboard soon it’s worth it in the long run but I’d return it unless you dot a really good sale.

Reactions: ozan99ok

USAFRet

Titan
We bought an M.2 SSD for my brother, only to find out that the mobo doesn't have an M.2 slot, so we are thinking of using an adapter, though we have questions about the speed limitations. Would the speed of M2 (Which is 2000/1100) be limited by the adapter or be limited by the Sata3 port itself? Another option is that we use a PCIE converter, what would you recommend us?
(SSD: Kingston 250 GB A2000 Series NvMe M.2 SSD)
Desktop or laptop?
What specific motherboard?
What do you wish to use this drive for?
What other drives are in this system?

Jan 25, 2020
Desktop or laptop?
What specific motherboard?
What do you wish to use this drive for?
What other drives are in this system?
Hi!
I want to use this drive as my windows drive and I also wanna transfer some games to it so that I have a better performance.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi!
Booting from that drive in a PCIe adapter is questionable.
In addition, speed will be slow if the boot drive or just a secondary drive.
Lastly, as the OS drive (even if possible) you won't see major improvements over a standard 2.5" SATA III SSD. Which will absolutely work.

Solution
Jan 25, 2020
Hi guys!
I wanted to thank you all for answering my question.
Finally we made our decision and gave the M2 to another friend and stayed with our old hdd but we also salvaged a ssd from one of our old notebooks and now he is using it for ssd.
Thanks for all of the help!