Question M.2 SSD vs regular SATA SSD ?

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
As I'm well on the way to investigating how I can upgrade my 10 year old system, I wonder whether an M2 stick would be better than the SSD I have?
The M2 stick will have nothing but Windows, less than 4 other pieces of software on it and a bit for temporarily storing stuff as everything else will be on the hard drives.

I just wonder whether it's worth changing or just keep the SSD - but that may also mean I have to get a SATA controller board as the new motherboard may not have as many SATA slots as my current (but old) board (which is 6!).

Amazon have a 250GB one for about £40, which isn't bad. I think my SSD is the same size so I'd likely recoup at least half the money by selling that. But I haven't investigated prices or brands as yet - this is very much dipping a toe in the water.

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
What are the actual specs of this system?
Particularly, the motherboard.

A system that old, "M.2" is unlikely to be a valid option.
Sorry, I should have been more explicit - the system in my signature is my current "Home" PC.
Looking at a m.2 stick for a new build HTPC, so it's more the basics rather than thinking what system it will fit in to.

I'm in a position to judge speed difference because of Windows 11 installed on same PC but one running of Samsung 879 evo plus NVME and other running of a SATA SSD. Difference in responsiveness is there but not great. Maybe some 5 seconds at start time and 1-3 seconds in opening programs depending on their size.

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
Thanks everyone - just learning the new tech.

i jave dual boot m2 nvme and m2 sata, no visible diff, os boot time about 3 seconds on both
Although I always query this.
So from Shut Down state, then pushing the power button to desktop is 3 seconds?

I see a lot of marketing around SSD still being speedy and yet as I've had them for quite a few years now, I no longer see the speed increase but get disappointed my desktop takes 20 seconds or so when pushing the power button from a shut down state.

But then I guess people use Sleep these days and so yes, from sleep under 5 seconds.

Thanks everyone - just learning the new tech.

Although I always query this.
So from Shut Down state, then pushing the power button to desktop is 3 seconds?

I see a lot of marketing around SSD still being speedy and yet as I've had them for quite a few years now, I no longer see the speed increase but get disappointed my desktop takes 20 seconds or so when pushing the power button from a shut down state.

But then I guess people use Sleep these days and so yes, from sleep under 5 seconds.
Power button to desktop is divided into 2 pieces.
Bios time.
Windows load time.

On this machine....non-sleep.
Boot from nvme to desktop about 10 secs.
Boot from 2.5 sata to desktop about 10 secs.
Both disk have exactly the same data.

Reactions: Oasis Curator