Question M2_1 Doesn't show M.2 drive on MPG x570 Gaming Plus MOBO

ramseyrt

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Hello,

I just installed a new WD Black SN750 M.2 drive in my M2_1 slot on my MPG x570 Gaming Plus MOBO. The BIOS shows "Not Present" for the M2_1 slot. What might be causing this issue?

I built this system in April 2020 with an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU and a Samsung Evo 970 M.2 (in the M2_2 slot). This system has been running Windows 10 Pro (Installed on the Samsung M.2) since that initial build and has been working flawlessly. I just installed this new WD Black SN750 M.2 drive in the M2_1 slot but the BIOS isn't seeing it. As such, Windows 10 isn't seeing it in Device Manager. I updated the BIOS firmware to the latest build but the problem persists.

For trouble-shooting, I swapped my Samsung Evo 970 M.2 with my WD Black SN750. After which, the system sees the WD M.2 in the M2_2 slot but doesn't see the Samsung M.2 in the M2_1 slot. To me, that means either my M2_1 slot is bad or I've got a misconfigured setting in the BIOS.

Any ideas on what I should try next?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

P.S. - I've uploaded a slide deck, in PDF, to my Dropbox so you can see the environment.

Last edited:

ramseyrt

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
hi, looking at ryzen 3000 diagram, it has 4 dedicated pci-e lanes for m2 and they are shared with last 2 sata ports on your mobo (sata5/sata6)
so id try connecting your optical drive to another sata port
Hello,
I tried what you said. In fact, I removed all of my SATA dives for this test. With no SATA drives connected the M2_1 M.2 still didn't show up. Any other ideas?
Thanks!
Rob