Question M2_1 Not Recognizing SSD.

Apr 29, 2022
Hi there! So, I've encountered an issue with my new motherboard, which I recently learned from an MSI rep was discontinued (great) as I haven't been finding the MB sold in the U.S. Only China. Well, I installed all my parts properly, but forgot to update the bios before continuing. My SSD wasn't recognized in M2_1 until I moved it to M2_2, even though my HD was recognized (both in SATA 5 and SATA 1). I had to move one of my HD to SATA 6 because M2_2 was taking that slot apparently. Everything works perfectly, but I'm just confused on what's going on. Is it because I didn't update the bios in time? Is it because I had my HD plugged in when it should've just been my SSD? I don't know. I was recommended to clear the CMOS but I just want to make sure that this is the issue. I have the same board, but with a broken ram slot, though I updated that ones' bios before continuing into the comp to Windows. Any advice would be great, and if I have to once again get a new motherboard or even a new CPU, I'll accept that.

Specs:
CPU: Intel 9th Gen i9-9900k
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO SATA M.2, 1TB
MB: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC

Apr 29, 2022
I also want to add that with the placement of everything currently, my computer is working perfectly. Very smooth, no issues, I'm just irritated by the fact that the M2_1 slot isn't working.

My SSD wasn't recognized in M2_1 until I moved it to M2_2, even though my HD was recognized (both in SATA 5 and SATA 1). I had to move one of my HD to SATA 6 because M2_2 was taking that slot apparently.
Any advice would be great, and if I have to once again get a new motherboard or even a new CPU, I'll accept that.
Did you even try to find answers to those questions in motherboard user manual?
SATA M.2 drive in M.2_1 slot disables sata port SATA2.
SATA M.2 drive in M.2_2 slot disables sata port SATA5.

Note: SATA notroller mode (in BIOS) has to be set to AHCI (not Intel RST with Optane). Or motherboard will expect Optane drive in M.2_1 slot.
Is it because I didn't update the bios in time?
Is it because I had my HD plugged in when it should've just been my SSD?
No. It has nothing to do with BIOS update. You just have to read motherboard user manual carefully.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS