Question M2_1 Not Recognizing SSD.

Apr 29, 2022
Hi there! So, I've encountered an issue with my new motherboard, which I recently learned from an MSI rep was discontinued (great) as I haven't been finding the MB sold in the U.S. Only China. Well, I installed all my parts properly, but forgot to update the bios before continuing. My SSD wasn't recognized in M2_1 until I moved it to M2_2, even though my HD was recognized (both in SATA 5 and SATA 1). I had to move one of my HD to SATA 6 because M2_2 was taking that slot apparently. Everything works perfectly, but I'm just confused on what's going on. Is it because I didn't update the bios in time? Is it because I had my HD plugged in when it should've just been my SSD? I don't know. I was recommended to clear the CMOS but I just want to make sure that this is the issue. I have the same board, but with a broken ram slot, though I updated that ones' bios before continuing into the comp to Windows. Any advice would be great, and if I have to once again get a new motherboard or even a new CPU, I'll accept that.

Specs:
CPU: Intel 9th Gen i9-9900k
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO SATA M.2, 1TB
MB: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC

Apr 29, 2022
I also want to add that with the placement of everything currently, my computer is working perfectly. Very smooth, no issues, I'm just irritated by the fact that the M2_1 slot isn't working.

My SSD wasn't recognized in M2_1 until I moved it to M2_2, even though my HD was recognized (both in SATA 5 and SATA 1). I had to move one of my HD to SATA 6 because M2_2 was taking that slot apparently.
Any advice would be great, and if I have to once again get a new motherboard or even a new CPU, I'll accept that.
Did you even try to find answers to those questions in motherboard user manual?
SATA M.2 drive in M.2_1 slot disables sata port SATA2.
SATA M.2 drive in M.2_2 slot disables sata port SATA5.

Note: SATA notroller mode (in BIOS) has to be set to AHCI (not Intel RST with Optane). Or motherboard will expect Optane drive in M.2_1 slot.
Is it because I didn't update the bios in time?
Is it because I had my HD plugged in when it should've just been my SSD?
No. It has nothing to do with BIOS update. You just have to read motherboard user manual carefully.