Question M2N61-AX Compatible CPUs? DELL Inspiron 531

Aug 6, 2019
It's been a while since someone's asked about this motherboard, I think. Google is very resourceful but I couldn't find the answer to a specific question. I have seen the best Compatible CPU is the AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.1 Ghz Dual Core is what alot of people are recommending.

I am specifically curious about the Phenom X4 9500 Quad Core 2.2 Ghz.

My research shows my mobo doesnt support AM2+ socket only AM2. Which could explain why people say the Phenom chips dont work (AM2+) and that there hasn't been a bios update allowing it. Two things to point out:

1: my bios DID have an available update 1.0.13 but idk if this issue was addressed for CPU compatibility.

2: what is the main reasons the Phenom AM2+ cant work with AM2? I dont fully understand all the info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM2+#Technical_specifications

Lastly I would consider upgrading my mobo, in that case I'd ask what the best supportive mobo I can fit in the Dell Inspiron 531 case (maybe I can modify case/IO panel if I have too.

A mobo that supports quad core chips and preferably DDR3 RAM (at minimum)

My current mobo only supports PCI 1.0x which is a bummer too..

If all else fails I'll just stick with what I have and aim for that 6000+ dual core chip and an extra 2GB ram.

Speaking of which there seems to be a heavy debate about RAM compatible too , the internet says 4GB max on my mobo but some people say 8GB has been successful.

Thanks for your input people

Aug 6, 2019
Phenom and Athlon shouldn't even fit in AM2 (no plus) socket.
A search online reveals A list of compatible processors and the athlon is on it, it's an AM2 socket, even if it was AM2+ it would still work but be limited that's from what I've gathered, I dont understnd how its be limited thoug, will bios not recognize 4 cores?